Need Advice on glue for Rubber to plastic

Hi all, I'm trying to get a rubber tire from a bicycle to stick to a piece of plastic. In short My son has a toy that he rides called a power wheels artic cat. The tires are made of hard plastic and wear out quickly on the cement roads. What I was told to do was take a 12.5 inch bicycle tire and cut out the edges and then wrap it over the plastic tire to protect it. Well I've done all that but when my son drives it around for a few minutes the rubber tires slides off the plastic one and comes off. So I used caulking to try and adhere both the rubber to the plastic but that only worked for a few days before it fell off again.
In short does anyone know of a product that can adhere a rubber tire to a piece of plastic securely that won't come off? I've heard contact cement might work but that it drys hard and that most likely would crack. Any other ideas ? Thanks.

http://www.thistothat.com /

I'd see if you can find some rubber that will wrap onto the sides as well. Then you can use some screws on the sides in addition to glue. I've had pretty good luck with GOOP as well as E6000 for difficult gluing jobs.
car crash wrote:

I'd probably just add some small screws (or even brads it they'll drive into the particular plastic) thru the tire into the wheel thru the face of the tire into the rim. Won't hurt a thing since the tire isn't holding air anyway.

Might be a good place for some pop rivets...
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Wouldn't'uve thunk there'd be a backside for one to catch onto, but if so, perhaps...
dpb wrote:

I wouldn't unless I could get the pop rivet washers on the inside, but I doubt that is possible.
Tony wrote:

Or just buy new wheels- http://www.mendingshed.com/arcticcats.html . Overpriced for what they are, but worth it to avoid the aggravation and young tears. -- aem sends...

If we are talking about the hard plastic wheels on one of those "Big Wheel trikes, then pop rivets without washers will serve to hold a rubber cover on the tires so they don't slip. Probably more securely than screws, which will also have the disadvantage of protruding heads.
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 07:38:30 -0800 (PST), car crash

http://www.mpsupplies.com/3madhesivechart.html