Need advice on emergency bent trumpet horn repair

My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:

He was crying up a storm (probably because he doesn't want me to tell his mom).

Do you think the now-bent trumpet can be saved before mom finds out?

I have about a day or two before she expects it back...

What tools would straighten the horn out?

Reply to
Danny D.

Brass ball peen hammer, brass anvil?

. Christ> My grandchild dropped the trumpet, denting the horn:

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you were anyone else but the grandfather or grandmother, I would say it's not your place to touch it and you should let his parents (or whoever paid for it, decide what to do.)

But still, I don't think there is anything you or I can do that will make it look original, or close enough that she won't notice if she ever picks it up, or if she looks at it while he's playing.

Is there a place that make's trumpets nearby. Maybe they can put it in the form they use in the first place and sqeeze it down again. Or a music store that sells instruments can tell you who repairs them

I would not use a hammer. It will put little dents in on top of the big dent and they will be harder to get out.

If I were trying to do it myself I would get someone who is used to autobody work by hand**, or bending metal in general (I always bend metal, usually until it breaks, before I throw it away.) and have him do it by hand, with his thumbs in just the right place, moving them as necessary.

**I've been able to make a 3 foot dent into a 6" dent, such that the first 2.5 feet look perfect, with my hands or my foot,, but usually I can't get the last 6" with just my hands or if I did, I know t here would be a wrinkle in it. . Of course that is steel and not brass, but it's thinner too.

How old is he? Was he roughhousing or being careless or was it the kind of accident even an adult might have?

How does it sound? Maybe if it has extra sounds, one can get rid of them without fully repairing it.

Can he get by the way it is, until he decides he's serious about the trumpet and would want a better one anyhow?

He seems to have done a lot of damage. Does that mean it's soft and a person can put it back with his thumbs, or did he drop it a long way?

Reply to
micky

Did the kid drop it from the 5th or 6th floor?

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That was the first question I had upon seeing it. I don't think he 'dropped' it. I think he got pissed, and THREW it down.

Maybe, given the cost to Momma for that horn, he should 'fess-up first, THEN seek to get it repaired. Any good musical instruments shop would have leads on brass horn repair people.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That can be fixed, but it very easy to make it worse, so I suggest a professional. Call a school that still has a band and ask who does theirs.

You won't get it back in time. Convince him to 'fess up. Don't rat him out though, nobody likes a stool pigeon.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Danny,

I think this is beyond simple repair. He's going to have to face Mom. I hope this is not a school rental.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Someone tried to bend it back in shape with their fingers. I see fingerprints around the damaged area in the second photo.

This Youtube video shows how a trumpet is made The part of the video that shows how the damaged horn can be repaired starts at 1:38

willshak

...snip...

The hammering part at 1:40 might be doable as a repair attempt, but there's no way you can spin the trumpet In a lathe. You'll note that all of the lathe work was done when the pipe was still straight. It was the lathe work that smoothed out the hammer marks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hi, I am a life time brass player, still do in a local community band with vintage euphonium. Is it expensive name brand horn? Or just student model Yamaha kind? Regardless take it to a shop they will do a good job so he can be ready for school next month. It looks easy to fix it but believe me, you can mess it up w/o experience and proper tools. I am sure local shops are already busy getting ready for rental program with their inventory.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Since we cannot buy a brass anvil, i.e. would need to commission that one be constructed, the OP is likely to find professional repair would be cheaper.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Not a DIY job unless you have some metal working experience. Call a musical instrument shop and ank who they use. Alternatively, a shop that does custom body work or restoration or builds custom motorcycles.

If the instrument is of some value, a pro can make it look like new with the right tools. Even a hack can make it without the big bend, but it will be visible.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it's a student model horn, that damage can come from it being dropped. They're made from soft brass, and the student models are made light for little arms to hold up. (Pro trumpets are heavy because a stiffer horn sounds better).

My kid did about half that much damage by knocking one off a chair, witnessed by SWMBO.

I wouldn't take it anywhere but a shop that specifically does that kind of repair. There are specialized bucks that are made specifically for fixing that damage, and people experienced at doing the work.

There'll be evidence of the repair -- the shop will make it sound good and look right from ten feet away, but close inspection will show creases. Confession is good or the soul (and the body, if you can't cover things up).

Wally's Music in Oregon City, Oregon, if you live close enough.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Dents add character, put a few more in it.

Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

Stormin Mormon

Not to mention that it will need to be annealed first so that the metal doesn't break. Definitely something that needs to go to a professional to be repaired.

OP needs to 'fess up before further damage is done to the instrument.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

My hat's off (and most of my hair) to whomsoever is spoofing me. You're doing better than I.

. Christ> Dents add character, put a few more in it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Put the horn on the kid's head, and then hammer. Use his head instead of brass anvil.

Oh, you want to straighten out the horn, not the boy??

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Heavy sedation for Mom, until the kid can go back to school and get another trumpet? I mean, the school has to have a couple spares. Couple of large denomination bills, for the teacher. And, no one needs to know.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

SNIP

Someone tried to bend it back in shape with their fingers. I see fingerprints around the damaged area in the second photo.

This Youtube video shows how a trumpet is made The part of the video that shows how the damaged horn can be repaired starts at 1:38

WW

A great video.

I see three problems for the OP. Getting it on the lathe with the rest of the trumpet attached. Maybe that can be detached but just disconnecting my water heater pipes wasn't easy.

Getting the temp down to, what, 40 below zero C? I guess that part has been done already.

He may not have enough tattoos.

Maybe someone can make a form and force the trumpet bell to fit it. What kind of hammer did they use. I couldn't hear.

Reply to
micky