Need advice for Tecumseh electric starter

I have a 6 horse "commercial/industrial Tecumseh which I use on a DR Power Wagon.

(Motor data is "WT PXS, 207 IBA, 207 DOM, 8282K")

For 13 years I have used the manual start most of the time, since I did not want to bother maintaining the very small battery, but now I have some tendonitis, and I would like to use the electric start.

I have installed a new and larger battery, but the starter is very cranky. It alternately squeals, groans, cranks, and occasionally starts.

DR sez there is no replacement starter moter available.

In case the mechanism needs only cleaning and relubrication, I would like to remove it and try that.

  1. Does that make sense?
  2. Any guidelines or warnings about how to remove it (I am handy, but inexperienced with motors)?
  3. Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Dwight Gibb

Reply to
Dwight

I would think you might be able to get some lithium grease or similar in to the bendix mechanism where it engages. If anything needs lube, that most likely is it. Could also try some spray oil, which would be enough to see if it frees up, but not likely to last as long as some grease.

If you need a new starter, have you looked for a starter for the ENGINE instead of the mower?

Reply to
trader4

I would spray WD-40 liberally on everything that moves except for the motor brushes and then try to start it. Things may be "dry" and the WD-40 will loosen them up for a short period of time so you can see if that is the problem.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Rest cut. Try Ebay. Bunches of various starters there. I'd try cleaning it as you suggested. Use WD 40 or maybe Blaster. The mechanism inside has to move so I'd stay away from grease or anything that would attract dirt. It's been a long time since I had a starter apart. One has to push the brushes apart to put the rotor back in. A paper clip works if I recall correctly.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

While you have it out and everything oiled up, run it on the bench without a load a few times for a few seconds. This action, which will make it run faster, MAY sling any dirt/debis away from the internal parts.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Take it off, clean it and lubricate it carefully. It is unlikey there is anything serious wrong with it if you have not used it.

Reply to
clare

Did you clean the battery connections when you fitted a new battery? If it's been sitting there for years with no battery then I'd expect that the terminals would need a bit of fine sanding to clean them up before they'll make a good connection with the new battery, and poor connections could easily cause the behavior you're seeing.

If you have some jump cables and are feeling adventurous, you could run power direct to the starter from a car battery just to see if the starter works well then (that's how I normally start my lawn tractor anyway, as I got sick of maintaining an on-board battery during all the months when it's not used)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson