Need Advice for Quiet 14,000BTU Window Air Conditioner

Hi. REquesting recommendations - I need to replace a 14,000 BTU air conditioner. I'd like one that is energy star compliant and quiet. The one I'm replacing, an old Kenmore, is very noisy. I checked Consumers Union's rating but they didn't rate any unit above 12,000BTUs.
Thanks,
Tom

Is this a window or through the wall unit? Also is this a 110V or 220V? maybe you could not find ratings above the 12,000 BTU range because usually anything above that is 220V, although there are a few 14,000BTU out there that are 110V.
Is this a window or through the wall unit? Also is this a 110V or 220V? maybe you could not find ratings above the 12,000 BTU range because usually anything above that is 220V, although there are a few 14,000BTU out there that are 110V.
Sorry, it is 110 volt I think. Does 220volt have a different size receptacle?

Yes, much different and usually one outlet per box.

Yes, it's definitely 110v.
big_dgreen had written this in response to http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/hvac/Re-Need-Advice-for-Quiet-14-000BTU-Window-Air-Conditioner-31781-.htm : LG, makes a decent window-ac that's fairly quiet and fair priced. As always though I recommend looking to central ac if you live in and own your home. If not your doing the right thing by shopping around as it's easy to buy something cheap but inefficient and not trustworthy. These days the market is flooded with cheap production window units, which is why most companies won't service them anymore. cheaper to buy then to fix. Any brand you decide to go with though, do a little research on it. Most reputable brands will have a wealth of information on the subject.
Alternatively you can go with what is called a Mini-split. It's a high efficiency hvac unit that doesn't require any duct work in the home, and will free up your window space which will reduce your electric bill and give you your window back.
Also you will be more likely to get one with heating options. Most mini splits come in a heat pump that will cool and heat efficiently. Some with very high seer rating, some even higher than 18. They are fairly expensive to buy initially but you might be happier and save money in the long run.
They are typically quieter and more attractive to the eyes. One that I've really been wanting to see installed for some time now is one that is actually also made by LG it's called LGart I believe. It's an air conditioner that actually looks like a picture frame. You can put any picture you want in it, and it sticked out of the wall a little farther than a picture but it actually has a fan that blows cold air from behind the frame. Cooling or heating, the room you put it in.
If you had the extra money to spend, I'd definately recommend a mini split.

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.hvac,alt.home.repair - messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

look at www.energystar.gov