Need a switch or cover to discourage people from turning off lights

Page 1 of 3
I'm looking for a special switch or cover that will discourage people from fooling with the switches for my outdoor security lights. I want all my switches right there at the door (where they already are), but it seems like everybody has to screw with every damn switch on the box before they find what they're looking for, and, sadly, labels don't seem to be effective.
I'd settle for something like an outdoor receptacle cover, but I only found them in single gang design, and most of my switch panels are multigang boxes.
I wouldn't mind a special switch, light the ones for weapons systems that have a safety cover over the switch, but it would need to handle line voltage.
Is there any vendor that has a good selection of stuff like that?

Key activated switches. www.mcmaster.com page 863 15A $12.87 That was easy.

I agree this is the way to go. I don't have a catalog but it is the third switch illustrated on this page: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/863 /30dl
--
Colbyt
On 10/19/2010 8:53 PM, ShadowTek wrote:

Just install tamper resistant switches like those in institutions.
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_1101-2L.htm
This type uses a flat metal key.
TDD

I don't think that would be practical with an array of 6 or more switches. The motion sensor lights that I'm using can be switched into an "always on" mode by toggling the switchs on and off, so fumbling with a key to toggle multiple switches would be cumbersome.
If I were willing to use a key, I'd mount the switches inside a locked panel, and then I'd only have to unlock the panel.
On 10/19/2010 9:58 PM, ShadowTek wrote:

You insert the key and flip it just like a regular switch. A thin blade screwdriver will work just as well on many similar switches. The only other thing to do would be to install standard switches in a closet near the door out of sight of the switch flippers.
TDD

My husband placed a bracket over the switch we should keep ON. You can still get at it from the side, but it's mainly there to remind us not to turn it OFF.
It's shapped as in this image:
http://www.plantronics.com/images/catalog/product_fullsize/desk_bracket.jpg
But the lenghth is shorter.
ShadowTek wrote:

You can get "switch guards" at HD. They cost, like, almost nothing. I couldn't find them on the HD website (can anyone find anything on that worthless scum-hole), but here's another look.
http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/CSG1-White-Switch-Guard-p/104880.htm?click 14
I use them for exactly the same purpose as you propose.
These are the ones I have - they don't LOCK the switch in a particular position. They just prevent accidental flipping.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
And I didn't pay $14.49 either!

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/CSG1-White-Switch-Guard-p/104880.htm?click 14
Yeah, that'll do. Thanks.
These look like them, but I can't clearly see if they have an open side, and the product description is misleading. "Covers standard light switches allowing user to 'lock' the switch in either the on or off position. The guard is made out of strong plastic and is installed using the wallplates existing screws." http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1/R-100628705/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
The description for the dark colered ones is evey worse. "Stop reprogramming your clocks, TVs and DVDs with the Amerelle Switch Guard (2-Pack). Made of strong plastic, the guard prevents electrical items from accidentally turning off." http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1/R-100662997/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
lol

I find nothing misleading about either description.
The first one basically says that you use the 2 screws that hold the switch plate on to mount the guard so that the switch can't be operated.
The second one refers to switched outlets that you don't want to turn off because programmable devices are plugged into them.
What is misleading about that?

The first one uses the word 'lock', but doesn't elaborate on that meaning. Not only that, but use of single quotes in this manner is improper and meaningless in American-English.
The second one uses the term "turning off" (instead of "being turned off") which implies that the "electrical items" are turning themselves off, and that this switch will prevent *that* from occuring, hence my subsequent "lol".

Improper grammar and/or improper use of punctuation doesn't make the statements *misleading*.
Were you actually "mislead" as far as their meaning or did you understand exactly what they were trying to say?
I find it somewhat humorous that in the same post where you detail the grammar and punctuation errors of the descriptions you also toss in some internet slang - and justify it.
Look up the entry for lol at dictionary.com. Your use of the acronym could certainly be misleading.

I'm still not certian what they meant by 'lock', so I was obviously not "lead" to the point where they wanted me to go, which would constitute a "mis".
The difference in comparing a term used in a technical issue to an instance of emotional expression is self evident, and proves your worth to this group.
*plonk*

I'm still not certian what they meant by 'lock', so I was obviously not "lead" to the point where they wanted me to go, which would constitute a "mis".
The difference in comparing a term used in a technical issue to an instance of emotional expression is self evident, and proves your worth to this group.
*plonk*

Come on...can you honestly tell us that you were mislead by that description?
I'd have assumed that you were intelligent enough to glean the intent of the description since they use the words "Covers... light switches " - not "partially covers", or "covers portions of" or anything ambiguous. The use of the single quotes around 'lock' is a pretty clear indication, at least to me, and especially when taken in conjunction with "covers...light switches", that you aren't physically locking the switch, but the result is the same.
If I told you that I "lock my valuables in a safe" would you understand what I meant or would you be "mislead" into thinking that each individual item was physically locked?

You're comparing a mechanical term to a term of emotional expression, but of course you knew that, and you only said it because you are a troll who enjoys pointless arguing.
*plonk*

A). Check your plonking threshold - it's set too low for an adult. B). You plonked DD twice. C). Post fookin pictures when you ask a question as your descriptive ability is somewhat lacking. D). Thanks.

*plonk*
Actually, I hadn't plonked him yet, but I have *now*. ES was having a problem last night, and it appeared as though my posts were getting through, which is why I posted multiple replies, and forgot the plonk him at that time.

Pictures of the devices that DD was arguing about were available at the HD pages that I linked to.

re: "it appeared as though my posts were getting through"
If it appeared that your posts were getting through, then why did you post multiple times?

I wasn't "arguing" about the *devices*, I was commenting on your use of the term "misleading".

Still needs adjusting, or you need to grow up.

Oh, geez. I wonder if DD will ever survive a childish plonk!

YOUR pictures. Pictures of YOUR switch installation. Sheesh. How many posts have you made about this? You're being ridiculous. Make a damn guard and stop dithering about. Jeff said it took him ten minutes to make one, and I happen to know he stopped and had a beer break in the middle of it (fess up, Jeff, you know you did!). Piece of aluminum, snips, file, drill two holes, install. Sheesh.