need a replacement float for fuel oil tank gauge

my float on my antique oil tank gauge has become cracked so it no longer floats on the surface. I'd like to replace it because the gauge still works great - giving me a very accurate read -by number - for how much fuel is left in the tank, as opposed to just telling me if I have 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 tank etc. I can't seem to find anything online specifically used for this purpose. Can anyone think of something else I can hook onto the end of this wire that is heavy enough to pull the cord out of the gauge yet light enough to float on top of the oil?
Add pictures here
✖
Joe wrote:

I'm guessing you've got a old Scully "Uni Gauge" or the newer version called a "Golden Gauge" having a cylindrical float with a necked down section midway along its length where the string ties.
Serendipitously, I was the Chief Engineer for Scully until about 33 years ago.
You could try calling the number(s) on this page:
http://www.scully.com/ct_index.html
Maybe if you sweet talked them they'd give you a new float.
If not, and faced with the same problem I'd try and find a small plastic bottle with cap having about the same volume as the cracked float and see if you can wrap a wire sling around it which would give you a place to attach the gauge's string at its mid point. If it needs more weight you could put some pebbles or whatever inside it.
Good Luck,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Jeff, that's so funny that what you recommended is exactly what I came up with! I found an old bubble bottle and got a big old drill bit in it for some weight. I am going to soak it in water overnight so I can get as much of the label off before I sink it tomorrow. The gauge still works great, I'm excited that I'll be able to save it. I got a fill up today of 204 gallons and the gauge said 65 this morning before I left the house - I assume that means I have about 5 gallons of sludge at the bottom of my tank!
Add pictures here
✖
x-no-archive:

if the gauge is that old, you might want to check the condition of the bottom of the TANK as well.
Mark
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 6, 11:29 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The bottom of the tank looks pretty good, a tiny bit of rust but seems rock solid to the touch. Any other warning signs I should be looking for?
Add pictures here
✖

✖