Need a quick response guys.. New concrete on top of old.

Page 1 of 2
I'm ready to use a few bags of ready mix to top a small section of sidewalk 2 inches thick. I've heard that a little white glue will help it stick. I have some TiteBond II reaching the end of it's shelf life can I use this? Or is it a waste of time. Being Sunday I have no access to any hardware stores in my area so I have to do this with materials on hand.
Thanks for any quick responses. I'm going to build the form right now.
Thanks.
<< I have some TiteBond II reaching the end of it's shelf life can I use this?

It's similar to some of additives used in mortar for glass block, and maybe other applications. Toss it into the concrete mix if you wish. It shouldn't be smeared on the old concrete. It's a small project and no big deal if the improvement is minor. Good luck.
Joe
First go to the store and return the ready mix and get a cement made to bond for repairs and coating, Read the instructions,, then get muriatic acid and wash it full strength before you build the forms but after digging. Or just pour what you have you havnt followed any rules anyway, so why ask here.
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 11:39:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

I'm not coating. I'm actually laying across the top of a 3ft wide sidewalk with a 6 ft x 5 ft rectangle. It will be roughly 2+ inches higher than the sidewalk. It's rebared so it doesn't have to adhere to the old sidewalk but I though a little bonding wouldn't hurt.
Are all WebTV posters ignorant pricks like you?
Are all concrete wannabees as stupid as you, 2 inch no acid wash, water infiltration, freeze thaw and you lost your bond. Rebar in 2 " do it your way but you are not suporting a load and its to thin.
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:41:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

The sidewalk is already 8 inches thick and hasn't moved in 25 years. 2 inches is as high as I can go above that you putz.
There is a latex adhesive to help with the bond, HD has it. I would not try to save a few dollars to avoid using the proper adhesive. Also, make certain that the old surface is CLEAN of debris and WET THE OLD SURFACE DOWN with water so that it does not prematurely wick the water out of new uncured cement.

if you dont have time to go down to the hardware store to get the proper stuff, or wait until you can, when are you gonna find time to tear up this hack job and fix it?
if the auto store is closed do you tape a pie pan on the axle to fix a flat too?
randy

be tearing it up. I simple asked if glue would help the new crete stick. It's not essential. Thanks for the useless advice.

give incomplete information, get a useless answer.
at least the garbage is right next to the place youll be ripping out this hack job so you wont have to carry it far...
randy
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:48:51 -0600, Village Idiot "xrongor"

All hat no cattle.
I just talked to the guy who poured my 24x36 shop pad last year, he owns 3 redimix plants and has been in the business since he was 12 and he would do exactly what I'm doing. Wire mesh is useless, top coat is useless for my application. Considering the sidewalk surface is completely worn away acid is a waste of money. He would lay rebar and pour the pad on a damp sidewalk. Glue is optional. Consdering I'm 60 miles from the closest hardware store or even a source of washed gravel bagged redimix is perfect.
So fuck you shit for brains!
Yea and I guess He wouldnt Acid clean either, I ve known a few " pros " in my time that never learned the basics. They are to smart for that. You 2 are one more example.

enjoy your new sandbox.
randy

Criticism aside, you received your answer in almost every response. They may not have been phrased exactly the way you would have liked them, but it should have been obvious to you that the answer was "no". They weren't critical or attacking replies, so why are you bent out of shape?
I like his second post where he says it doesnt have to adhere because its Rebar. But wants bonder and Now says he powerwashed it.

Bay Area Dave?

My favorite part was when he came back with the info from the concrete guy who's been pouring concrete since he was 12 (no chance he's wrong) saying that, surprise, the way Wayne wanted to do it was 100% right and everyone else was wrong. I'm like "shit, Wayne...if you could get on the horn with the concrete guy, why are you wasting our time?".
todd
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:41:01 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"

Try reading the question I ask you power tripping shit for brains.
Here it is:
I'm ready to use a few bags of ready mix to top a small section of sidewalk 2 inches thick. I've heard that a little white glue will help it stick. I have some TiteBond II reaching the end of it's shelf life can I use this? Or is it a waste of time.
What part of the USE Titebond yes or no did you fail to understand?
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:07:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@address.invaIid
(doesn't matter what he wrote, actually).
Oh look, he's nym-shifted. <plonk> again, WayneKelly.

Naaah, I don't think so. The ISP, the news server, and the news client are all different from BAD's.
But I *am* beginning to suspect that Wayne is a recon troll....