Need a Primer on PEX

How long has this been around, and what are the advantages over 1" black polypipe? Will it crack when frozen? Can it be buried and used as a line from a well to the house? Thanks. Frank

It has been around in Europe for about 40 years. It is more flexible than some of the other plastic pipes. It will expand a bit with a freeze, but it is still possible to crack it. I don't know about burial requirements or codes. A Google search will turn up plenty of information.

Here's a FAQ http://www.ppfahome.org/pex/faqpex.html
Instructions (pdf) http://www.vanguardpipe.com/pdfs/VanexCrimpsertInstall.pdf
Google "Aquapex" or Wirsbo Pex

Rudy wrote:

Hi, Between well and house? Are you using the well seasonal? Otherwise risk for freezing solid is minimal even with black poly stuff. I have it out at my 4 season cabin. After 8 years, it's still working.