Need a new thermostat. Any suggestions?

So our thermostat has started to go bad. Before someone asks, the LCD read out has started showing some funky temps. So it's time for a new one. Its an older home so nothing fancy. Just something simple and in the $50-70 price range would be ok. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on a good brand.
wg_2002 wrote:

You did not mention what is your system. heat/cool or just heat, single stage or 2 stage, etc.... Brand wise I like Honeywell.
On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:51:45 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

cooling. I'm not sure about single stage or 2 stage though. It's just a 2000 sq.ft. home with central air/heat if that helps. I've heard of Honeywell so I'll check them out. Thanks
wg,
I also have a Honeywell. It works ok and was easy to install. Before you go shopping, know what you need and what you want. What do you need? Is it gas, oil, electric, et c.? Does it cool? Check the voltage that controls your heat, most are 24v but not all. What do you want. My Honeywell will change the temp 4 times per,day during the work week and twice during the week end. Mine runs on batteries but some run off of the control board power. I don't have a remote or an internet connection but some do.
Dave M.
On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 7:27:57 AM UTC-4, David L. Martel wrote:

try buying the exact same model you already have, to minimize install hassles.
at least see if yours is still produced
I had a thermostat flake out once, and accidently found a identical one that mouted to a plate, unscrew one, tighten 2 screws for new one. no wires to mess with.
I was younger then but kinda disappointed, it was too easy.......
David L. Martel wrote:

Hi, Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 will handle your system and some, can run off 24V AC control power with installed battery as back up. You have 2 stage heat since W2 is used. Honeywell support people respond well via phone or email. I have Vision Pro 8000 at my cabin, used to have another at home but switched to wireless when new system installed for lack of extra wire.
On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 10:31:29 AM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

Where did he say anything about having "W2"?
trader_4 wrote:

My mistake. I mixed this thread with one on hvac forum.
On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 07:27:52 -0400, David L. Martel wrote:

It's a natural gas furnace and a conventional ac unit and I know its 24v. I just want something simple. 7 day programmable would be just fine and running off the 24v connection would be nice with the option for battery backup. I just want to keep it simple.
On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 8:10:39 PM UTC-4, wg_2002 wrote:

As I recommended previously, I'd go with a Honeywell Vision Pro. It's 7 day programmable, easy to program LCD screen. If you want cheaper, hard to change the program, small display, there are plenty of them at the big box stores.
On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 02:27:26 +0000 (UTC), wg_2002

I've had good luck with Honeywell.
On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 10:28:23 PM UTC-4, wg_2002 wrote:

I all depends on what you want. You can get a basic non-programmable for a lot less than that. Most people today want a programmabe. I like the Honeywell VisionPro series. Very easy to program, nice big screen, has adaptive recovery, so after having it set back to save energy, you set it to resume normal 70F temp at say 6AM and it figures out when to fire the furnace up to get it to 70F at that time. You may be able to find one of those on Ebay. If I were buying a new thermostat today, I'd want one that's internet wifi connected. That way you can turn up the heat on the way home from trips, etc, but they are more than your price range.
I was looking at the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 that Tony suggested but at $150 its a little out of my price range. I was looking at the Honeywell RTH7600D though. It's a little over budget but not by much and seems to get decent reviews. Do you guys think it's a good unit?
On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 8:12:09 PM UTC-4, wg_2002 wrote:

There are Vision Pro's selling on Ebay for less than half that price.
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 06:00:04 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

Can you provide a link? The only ones I've seen for half the price are either used or the description is really suspect.
wg_2002 wrote:

That is Focus Pro series I think, good unit also. Just LCD dispslay is little smaller.
On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 9:28:23 PM UTC-5, wg_2002 wrote:

Have you tried replacing the battery??????
On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 17:41:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Yes that was the first thing I tried. It still read -19 L even with fresh batteries.