Need a little plumbing advice please.

I just installed a new 'shutoff' valve on my house water supply line.

I'm using 3/4" PVC pipe, so I got a threaded, PVC adapter with a male thread that screws into the shutoff valve and the PVC pipe glues into the female side of the adapter.

OK, so I get 50' of pipe all glued together and connected to the water meter and slowly open the valve on the water meter. Well, I have a slight leak which appears to be from where the threaded adapter screws into my new shutoff valve.

Should I have used teflon tape on the thread? Or should I have used the PVC glue?

TIA

Lewis.

*****
Reply to
limeylew

On 1/26/2010 4:25 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

The former (teflon tape). You don't want to use glue except to glue together slip joints.

You can just cut the pipe, reattach the valve with thread sealant, then connect the cut ends with a coupling. (You'll want to trim back one cut end to make the length come out the same as before.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

My boss taught me to teflon tape the male threads, and then paint on Rectorseal #5 onto the male threads. That has worked for me. It sounds like you'll have to cut the PVC, dope the thread, and then use a coupler to put the PVC back.

I'm sad for the extra work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Isn't it RectalSeal?

Reply to
Existential Angst

What did you put on it? Nothing? I would probably have used teflon tape, as I have done in the past on similar app;ications with good results. Others in here may have different ideas of what is best. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

Is this PVC screwing into a metal valve or a pvc valve? If metal, I've been told this doesn't work. If it's PVC, why wasn't it a simple glue on valve?

Reply to
Tony

PVC rated pipe dope.

Reply to
Bob F

Agree, I tend to cross thread PVC into metal when I use it with tape.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Thanks and thanks to all of you.

I used Teflon tape and it seems to be fixed now.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****
Reply to