need a good water filter

I have been through a few water filters recently. My stomach is very sensitive to the heavy metals that can be a by product of the filtration system from the cartridges. I even am sensitive to the copper and other elements in certain vitamins etc. It kills my stomach and gives me diahreah. I am experiencing same symptoms with this GE under sink filter now. I am reading that they can give off extra nickel that can be bad for you.
Can anybody PLEASE give me advice on a filter that will do its best to NOT leak the metals into the water that I will drink. I may go back to the waterpik filter that you just attach to the faucet.
Thanks in advance
Jules

You really need to see a shrink.
I mean that in the nicest way.
Really.

thinks he is sensitive to imperceptible traces, your suggestion isn't helpful.

I've installed this system and it is as pure water as you can get. It even comes with a tool to measure the impurities.
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIMUS-MAX-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTER_W0QQitemZ180010182907QQihZ008QQcategoryZ20684QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
So you have proof of this , realy your problem is elsewhere, But an old unchanged clogged cartrige can re release some contaminents, good filters filter these things out.
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 05:18:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Yep, that's what I said. Read it again. It says that the reverse osmosis kit I suggested, comes with an electronic meter to measure impurities.
Try any meter on your filtered water and on a reverse osmosis system and you will see the light.
The downside of reverse osmosis system is that it uses water to clean the membrane. Maybe as much as one gallon of water for every gallon filtered but I'm not sure.
JimL wrote:

that make it past the carbon and spun polyester filters. The concentration of minerals in the waste water is basically double what the fee water has in it.
Cleaning the membrane is something that get done in large systems on a schedule. 1000-3000Gal/Day are supposed to get a washdown of the membrane every couple of years. Under the counter models for home use don't process enough water to ever clog the membrane.

Yep, that's exactly it.
Julie wrote:

No, it's not. You have a hysterical disorder that can usually be remedies through therapy or drugs like Prozac. This is not meant to insult you but to tell you the truth rather than endulge any delusions you may possess or have been fed by disreputable health professionals, such as medical doctors who practice "enironmental" medicine and who sell expensive products and services to "protect" people who think they have multiple chemical sensitivities.

It's unlikely you're so sensitive that normal amounts of those elements found in typical environments would bother you.

It's probably something else doing that, such as intake of uncooked foods (even fruits and vegetables can cause diarreah), but you should have your water tested by a lab that isn't affiliated with any company that sells water treatment equipment. Kits for this are sold at hardware stores and home centers, and they're either prepaid for a simple lead check, or you have to pay anywhere from $20-500 extra for more complete tests.

Carbon water filters contain silver to prevent growth of bacteria, and without this silver you could be poisoned by germs. While it's possible to receive excessive amounts of silver from these filters, it's unlikely, and any excess will not be at such a high level to be highly toxic. But you can reduce the concentration of silver greatly by running the water for 30-60 seconds before filling your glass, so consider filling a pitcher and keeping it in the refrigerator.

A carbon filter will remove most organic chemicals, mercury, and some lead, but if your water is also contaminated by excessive inorganics (simple elements), a reverse osmosis filter is needed to remove them.
Good brands of filters include Ametek, Omni, and Sears Kenmore. Avoid anything sold by comissioned salesmen.
How is the GE SmartWater system as far as filters go?
http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=GX1S50F&SITEID R&CHANNEL=CH0004&TABID=2&HEADER=N&FOOTER=N

Bob wrote:

I don't know, but GE doesn't make it, just as they don't make their water heaters. Generally, filters are fine unless they're sold by people who come to your home or they have expensive or hard-to-find replacement cartridges.
Julie wrote:

Besides suggesting consideration of psychosomatic problems, if your water is really contaminated enough to make it unfit for consumption (e.g. abandoned mine runoff), you might consider bottled water.
Or, better yet, switching over to wine & beer. At least you'd enjoy earning the symptoms.
Hi Julie. I am not licensed to give psychiatric advice, but I can say that reverse osmosis filtration systems are generally regarded as the most effective at purifying water.
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Isn't one of the generals under your command, Jack D. Ripper, an expert in water purity?
Exactly.