Need a good source for stainless duct

Folks,

I'm trying to repair a fire place insert and need an inexpensive, preferably via mail, source for a stainless flex joint. I see many places for stainless steel chimney liners but I'm looking for a stainless equivalent of the 4-section flex joints commonly used in ductwork....the kind you can form just about any angle with by rotating the segments. The customer already has a stainless chimney liner, but the flue exit from the insert doesn't line up with the stainless liner, so I need to jog the joint over a bit. The original installer used a galvanized 4-section joint and it worked fine but lasted only 3 years. The size I need is 6".

Thanks in advance, Dave field snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Dave Sanborn

Folks,

I'm trying to repair a fire place insert and need an inexpensive, preferably via mail, source for a stainless flex joint. I see many places for stainless steel chimney liners but I'm looking for a stainless equivalent of the 4-section flex joints commonly used in ductwork....the kind you can form just about any angle with by rotating the segments. The customer already has a stainless chimney liner, but the flue exit from the insert doesn't line up with the stainless liner, so I need to jog the joint over a bit. The original installer used a galvanized 4-section joint and it worked fine but lasted only 3 years. The size I need is 6".

Thanks in advance, Dave field snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Dave Sanborn

For a fireplace you want a double or triple wall flue pipe with a stainless inner liner. They do make offsets in that. If you get a cheap SS eadjustable elbow, I hope you have GOOD insurance. That is not a good place to save money.

Stretch ps, if it is gas burning only, you might try Z-Flex, but check code in your area first.

Reply to
Stretch

You didn't answer the man's question. If you know there are offsets, why not say where to get them instead of pontificating as if the fellow doesn't know what he's doing?

It is silly to succumb to those who would use the "insurance company" fear and doom logic to try to intimidate you into buying something more expensive than you need to. Using single walled z-flex or chim-flex is fine for a wood stove if the chimney already has a clay flue liner in good condition. The combustion would have to get hotter than a volcano to phase the clay flue liner. BTW, I've found in such installations it helps to wrap the z-flex with a fiberglass insulation blanket, which helps keep the walls hot and reduces soot. It still builds up though, and where there is enough space, I build a tee into the system to allow me to clean out the carbon which tends to rain down in what looks almost like glass chips, which clogs the woodstove. I'm told that it is exacerbated by burning wood that is not totally seasoned. I don't always have the luxury of "totally seasoned" wood, so the tee works great.

I'm assuming the reason you are using a stainless flue liner into a chimney of a fireplace is to reduce the diameter of the flue correct? I don't know of any 4-section angle peices as you describe, but it would be a good product if someone would offer it. Perhaps Stretch will educate us as to a source.

Bill

Reply to
William Childers

Dave,

Metal-bestos makes all sorts of double and triple wall flues. There are different grades of stainless, speak to your Metal-bestos rep to determine the right one for your application.

William,

The OP asked for "inexpensive", i.e. Cheap, which is why I posted as I did. If he had just asked for offsets, I would have posted differently. I assumed he already had a source for the more expensive but correct stuff.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

inexpensive,

see many places

stainless

ductwork....the

the segments. The

flue exit from the

to jog the joint

4-section joint and it
6".

My experience is that you almost have to go to the same manufacturer as the rest of your duct to get a good fit.

Bob

Reply to
Bob