Page 2 of 2

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I thought they all had 360's?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

As you can see, the big engine models were hard to keep on the ground. *snicker*
TDD

He's talking about A-100s like the original "little red wagon" and the "backup pickup" dragsters. Basically an early Dodge van with the back chopped to make a pik-em-up. Origiinally only slant six powered - then the 273 became available towards the end of their production, and quite possibly the odd 318 at the very end.
sid wrote:

Get a bigger battery? Like for a motorcycle or self-starting mower, or even one designed for a UPS.

80 watts at 120 volts is the same as 960 watts at 12v. add in the losses in the inverter, and you're gonna need a large battery

Nope ! 80 watts is 80 watts ! P = I * E or I = P / E 80watts / 120volts = 0.66 amps 80watts / 12 volts = 6.6 amps
I never figured I would ever get more than 1.5 to 2 amps from dry-cell or alkaline batteries. But I didn't expect it to be that poor.
Its not only for a display, its a contest !

Nope ! 80 watts is 80 watts ! P = I * E or I = P / E 80watts / 120volts = 0.66 amps 80watts / 12 volts = 6.6 amps
I never figured I would ever get more than 1.5 to 2 amps from dry-cell or alkaline batteries. But I didn't expect it to be that poor.
Its not only for a display, its a contest !
----- oops. i doubt you could get 6.6a out of a dry-cell battery for long. try a car battery.
they also make led xmas lights that work off a small battery pack. i recently saw a lady wearing some, that were hooked up to the ones she had on her baby's stroller running of a small c cell battery pack.
<snip>

That would be the best solution... There are portable strings of lights that use AA cells for decorating wreaths and such. Should be much easier to work with.

The watts is the same for any voltage as you noted. Just add some for the loss in the inverter. Might as well think of it as 10 amps to allow for the loss in the inverter.
That means something the size of a lawn mower battery to run it for an hour or so. I have a rechargable to start a 5 KW generator. It is rated 15 amp hours. It is about 4 x 4 x6 inches. This would run your lights around an hour and a half, maybe slightly more.

That is a little big. My 1st string of LEDs is rated at 18w and the ones with color that blink are rated at 8 - 12w I was figuring before I stated that I could get a respectable display for under 25w and not have to invest in a marine battery ?
Uhm. You might have some numbers mistaken. 80 watts at 120 volts is also 80 watts at 12 volts. It's the amps that change.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

No, 80 watts at 120 volts is the same as 80 watts at 12 volts, give ot take the percentage of inefficiency. 80 watts at 120 volts is .67 amps. At 12 volts it is 6.7 amps, give or take according to efficiency. The lanmtern batteries are generally good for about 10 watts at 6 volts - or 20 watts at 12, more or less. Generally Alkaline batteries are good for about 2.5 to 2.9 amps MAXIMUM draw. The old Manganese Dioxide carbon-zinc batteries put out a bit more, but for significantly shorter time.
On Dec 10, 7:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

.
This is the results of my initial test using two Energizer 6v Alkaline Lantern batteries in series. Here is what I measured: voltage not connected = 12.5v voltage connected = 11.4v current connected = 1.3 amps So: R = E/I (12.5 - 11.4)v / 1.3a = .85 ohms of internal resistance. I need a source with a much lower resistance or more batteries in parallel.
I found an old "APC Smart UPS 650", Specs show it should have a 12v 650va battery. Tomorrow I will post what happened.

The SmartUps 650 I have sitting here takes 2 6 volt batteries of I believe 12 AH. They are no longer here - scrapped them but have not replaced them yet. The SmartUps 1000 is a 24 volt unit.
A computer UPS battery could be 12 or 6 volts. What I'd reccomend is a battery jumper pack from Napa, or reputable auto parts company. That contains a small lead acid battery. Typically with a wall wart for recharging. Or, you can charge with a double ended lighter plug cord. After the display, you put the jumer pack in the car (read the instructions) and you are everyone's buddy when they have a dead battery.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The liitle crap is 12 volts - the bigger stuff 24 and up. Most use multiple 12 volt batteries. 12v8Ah batteries are common and can be easily recharged. 12V 5aH batteries are also readilly available. Often the cheapest way is to by a 12 volt "booster pack" when on sale at WallMart or wherever. Usually 18 Ah or better, often available for $49 or less. Come with 110 volt charger and a cord to charge them in the car from the "convenience outlet" (aka Cig lighter)

Ever think about buying a power inverter that converts 12V to 110V. Then just use a regular string of lights. Thats what I do.