Need a 120 volt relay

Page 2 of 2

I think the OP wanted a 120vac coil. I use something like the OP is trying to rig up. I use mine to turn on my audio sytem whenever I turn on my cable box. Like the OP the outlet on the cable box wasnt rated but for 100 watts. I have thought about changing my setup to solidstate relays but have wondered if these may cause a "noise" problem.
Jimmie
On 7/3/2009 12:03 PM JIMMIE spake thus:

Yes. This relay has just that. Look at it.

Mortimer Schnerd wrote:

Factory Mation is a good place for contactors and time delay relays.
On 7/2/2009 6:44 PM Mortimer Schnerd spake thus:

Here's just what you need, for only $2.50:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-482/120-VAC-40-AMP-RELAY/-/1.html
This one's rated at 40 A, so you should have no problems with it.
And forget Radio Shack, as some other posters have suggested. They're useless.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-482/120-VAC-40-AMP-RELAY/-/1.html
That is a single pole single throw relay. Don't I need a double pole single throw relay? Otherwise it'd be perfect.

I've had very poor luck with their stuff in the past. I only go there when I'm desperate.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd wrote:

Not if you hardwire the common (neutral) connector, and use the relay to switch the hot.
Jon
On 7/3/2009 1:08 PM Mortimer Schnerd spake thus:

No. Think of it the same as putting a switch in between the line and the amplifier, like a light switch. SPST is all you need; just switch the hot wire and leave the neutral connected. (Of course, you'll need to determine which side of the socket on the back of your receiver is hot, but this is easily done with an ohmmeter or continuity tester.)

Don't know when the last time you dealt with them was, but I recently ordered some stuff (a gear motor and some switches), got it promptly with no problems. Everything was as advertised.

I finally got it squared away today. It took three trips to WW Grainger before I had the 120 volt DPST relay in my hot little hand. I stopped at Home Depot on the way home and bought a blue plastic work box along with an AC outlet and a face plate.
I actually soldered the spade lugs onto the wires (scavenged from the garage)and stuffed everything into the box. It makes quite a neat package with the two cords coming through a grommeted 1/2" hole in the back of the box.
I plugged the high powered amp into one side of the outlet and the CD player into the other. I plugged the relayed plug directly into the wall and the cord to the coil into the back of the receiver.
Et voila! It works perfectly. Now I turn on the receiver and everything turns on at the same time. I should have done this long ago.
Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas to the thread. This is the relay I ended up using:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1EJH4
Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com

I didn't see your original post, but you could carry your device one step further by adding a timer and 3 or 4 relays to power up/down the equipment in sequence. Audiophile equipment should be powered up in sequence from input-source devices first (cd, phono, tuner) to power amps last, and powered down power amps first then input-source devices last. So pusing on would trigger the relays to go on in sequence (at 5 second intervals) and pushing off would trigger to relays to go off in reverse sequence.
windcrest wrote:

My external power amplifier is a Dynaco 400 and it already includes delayed turn-on to prevent speaker thumps. I've had this since 1974 and it still sounds great.
http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/ST400/index.html
As for powering down, I don't see any particular downside to simultaneous shut down.
Mortimer Schnerd, RN mschnerd at carolina.rr.com