NEC sucks

Page 1 of 2

What is the dumbest thing you find wrong with the NEC?
My pet peeve is the lack of code mandating 3 or 4 way light switches when the room can be entered at opposite ends. I've been here for 5 years and I still instinctively reach for light switches that aren't there. There ought-a be a law.
Tony wrote:

If you want it in your house, do it. Who needs you mandating that everyone should have what you want?
Bob F wrote:

Because I an the center of the universe and everything should be approved by me. ;-)
Tony wrote:

You can always get a wireless light switch.
http://www.adhocelectronics.com/Wireless-Light-Switches
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Interesting

At a hundred and fifty bucks a pop? Less interesting?
Red Green wrote:

There are cheaper ones from other manufacturers.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:35:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Or wear a mining helmet at all times. :-)
"Tony" wrote in message

The NEC is all about safety. Someone dies from an electrical fire or is electrocuted, then they come up with ways to prevent these things from happening again in the future.
Since no one has died from walking to the other end of the hall to flip a switch, there is no urgent need to have any rules for that.
My pet peeve is no outlets in hallways. Well you need to vacuum the hallway don't you?
Anyway you can suggest new rules for the NEC here... http://forums.mikeholt.com/forumdisplay.php?fr
Bill wrote:

using your line of thinking, then why do they mandate that a room have a switched fixture or outlet?
And i'll bet the code really does require the three (and four) way switches at the different doorways of a room. If you interpret it that way. I believe it says something about being able to turn on a light when you enter a room.
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 07:59:53 -0600, Steve Barker

The only place I can think of that requires 3 and 4 way switches is stairways. You need a switch at any place you can enter the stair well. Generally one at the top and one at the bottom but if there is a landing with an entrance in the middle you need a switch there too.
210.70(A)(2)(c)Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.
As for rooms, you only need a wall mounted switch ... somewhere. It doesn't even need to be in the room with the light.
210.70(A)(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switchcontrolled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom. Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.
Note, it says the "outlet" needs to be in the room but it is silent on where the switch is.
On Nov 14, 11:42am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My in-laws house is built around the den. The den has two doors from the living room and doors to three bedrooms and each has a 3 or 4 way switch that controls the den light. At the doors from the living room the switches are in the living room. There is also a door going to a . 5 bath and it has a switch for the den light there too, never figured that one out.
Jimmie
Bill wrote:

I'll bet at least one person has tripped in the dark and died while going for the light switch at the other side of the room.

LOL! I didn't know that (I'm not an electrician) but I always find it awkward when vacuuming in the hallway. At first I always looked for an outlet there.

The NEC requires an outlet in any hallway 10 feet or longer
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 05:13:24 -0800, "Bill"

You will be proposing for the 2014 code. Proposals and comments are closed for the 2011.
on 11/14/2009 8:13 AM (ET) Bill wrote the following:

adjacent to one in the adjoining bedroom and tap off that one.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

My entrance hall didnt have an outlet so I put one in the closet in the hallway where the vacuum is stored. very convenient since that hallway requires the most cleaning.
Jimmie
Tony wrote:

Main purpose of NEC is for the safety, not some one's convenience. When you build the house, customize to your liking. That's what I do. I never lived in a preowned house.
Tony wrote:

I wonder if there's a mandate for ANY light to have a switch.
I remember reading about a bowling alley who, for some reason, wanted to turn off the lights. They couldn't find the switch(es)!
In the seven years of the bowling alley's existence, the lights had never been turned off and no one remembered where the switches were. Or if there even were any.