NEC question

Running a 110 v pond pump wiring underground. I will use plastic conduit underground. Can I continue the plastic conduit above ground to box? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
sligo

Yes, as long as the conduit is not exposed to possible damage. The box must be separately supported (sturdy post), not by the conduit.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

A conditioned "yes". If it is marked sunlight resistant it is designed to be run above ground. The good news is I have not seen any grey PVC (Rigid Nonmetalic Conduit) that was not listed for above ground and underground at any of the home stores. It should be fine. Provide a post or other support when it leaves the ground and to hold the box. Your burial depth is a minimum of 12" for a residential GFCI protected 120v 15 or 20a circuit. Otherwise RNMC should be 18".

Reply to
Greg
120v 15 > or 20a circuit. Otherwise RNMC should be 18".

Sligo

All answers are good UNLESS your in the sun belt. I have never seen any PVC last more than 5 years in Arizona when exposed to the sun. If you in the sun belt use an wrapped rigid elbow to turn up. You will probably move on before you would have trouble with it. Make sure you supply wire can handle the voltage drop.

Reply to
SQLit

It's getting better, I have some that is doing fine in South Florida and it is pretty sunny here. I cornered the Carlon guy at a building official conference and he did admit they were still using the old formula on conduit body covers and straps. (they were not in the listing for some reason)

Reply to
Greg