NEC: is it "neck" or N-E-C?

Page 1 of 3

Hi, I just wanted to find out how professsional electricians refer to the National Electrical Code. Do they spell it out or do they pronounce it "neck"?
--zeb
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

People don't say oosa, fibbee, or niba. They say USA, FBI and NBA. Same with the nec. ;)

OSHA

snafu

NAFTA!

Think 4 or more letters get sounded out like a word, 3 or less get spelled out.
Is there a rule for this?
later,
tom @ www.FreeCreditReportAdvice.com

Nope. Some work as words and some don't
NAACP
Some would work as words, but still get spelled out
AARP
Individual Retirement Accounts is a three letter acronym, but it often gets pronounced as a word
IRA

I keep remembering LEM. That's 3 printed letters, even if you think the word you hear has 4.

Probably not.

Mark Lloyd

No, don't think so. It's been discussed a few times on alt.english.usage , and probably also on alt.usage.english .
In Spanish, at least in Central America, they make a real effort to prononce everything they can. IGA was eega. IGGS was eegs.
But the US FBI was still the effe bay ee. It took me along time to figure out what he was saying.

Unlike those, NEC does sound like a word. People often do say those as words.
I grew up at the time of the Apollo program. They had a lot of those initials that got pronounced as words, like Portable Life Support System and Lunar Excursion Module that were usually pronounced "pliss" and "limb".

Mark Lloyd
On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:16:19 -0600, Mark Lloyd

I always pronounced that, or at least heard it as, lem!

At the time, I had trouble with the schwa sound. I guess I'm remembering that.

Mark Lloyd

TLAs (Three letter acronyms) are usually spelled out. Longer acronyms are usually pronounced, if the result is pronouncable.
That's why it's
D.O.D. and E.P.A and "FEMA"
Generally with adjectives inserted.
Goedjn wrote:

I hadn't the slightest idea what a TLA was. Then I looked it up at Wikipedia. Geez, must be a lot of lonely people out there.
It's not an acronym unless it's pronounced as a word. If spelled out, or it doesn't make a word it's just an abbreviation.
Then you have the people who insist on being redundant. Some examples: vin number nic card pin number
this drives me up a wall when people say these.
--
Steve Barker

"Goedjn" < snipped-for-privacy@mail.uri.edu> wrote in message
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Interesting. I hadn't realized that if the letters didn't make a pronounceable word, it wasn't an acronym. If it's spelled out, though, it's not really an abbreviation, it's an initialism. I wouldn't have known the latter if you hadn't sent me to the dictionary on the former. Thanks, Steve.

My mother worked in a library, and used "initialism" that way too. I don't hear it much.

Mark Lloyd
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 21:02:19 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"

It's not an abbreviation, it's an initialism.
CWM

Then you should switch to the coffee in the green can! 8^)
Charlie Morgan wrote:

Initialism? Who coined this? It's still an abbreviation even if only the intials are used.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

An abbreviation in its strictest sense is merely a shortened form of the word. An initialism uses the initial letters.
http://www.answers.com/topic/acronym-and-initialism