NEC and wall switch

Could you install a ceiling mounted light/fan fixture without a wall switch in the room per NEC code? Light/fan has its own switch.

Reply to
Jack

If there is another wall switch controlled lighting outlet, even a switched receptacle, you are OK.

Reply to
gfretwell

As another poster indicated, you can do so when you have a wall receptacle or another light controlled by a wall switch. I do not recommend this type of installation for a ceiling fan. Those pull chain switches don't last as long as the fan and you will most likely wind up replacing them down the road. I suggest running a three wire to the ceiling fan and have a wall switch for the light and a wall switch for the fan. As an alternative you can get a fan with a remote control unit. I don't know what kind of life you can expect from the remote control though.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Great replies, just one follow up question, what room are you doing this in. I've been taught some rooms cannot use a switched receptacle to meet a lighted outlet requirement.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

You are right. The answer is kitchens and bathrooms need a real lighting outlet, not a receptacle

Reply to
gfretwell

Mine are

Reply to