Nearly three feet

  • Peter Moylan:

Metric feet?

I believe in this country the size is labelled "12 inch".

Reply to
Oliver Cromm

Which, on this side of the pond, would be on 11/06/2014. "Over the course of a year", means that between now and 11/06/2014...

Reply to
krw

true! So, why do we still talk that way?

Reply to
Jenn

Depending on which side of which pond you happen to be on.

Reply to
Steve Hayes

(alt.home.repair dropped)

Peter Moylan:

Oliver Cromm:

I don't think so. In 2012 a Subway was one of the places I was going for lunch semi-regularly, and I remember the name "foot-long" because it contrasted with the simple "large" at Tim Hortons. Of course, it might have changed since then. I never measured them, but the Subway ones did look about a foot long to my eyes; the ones at Tim Hortons (since discontinued) were shorter but thicker.

I looked at

but while they are most eager to show you nutritional and other details for the "standard 6-inch" size, I found no reference to the larger size at all. However, a Google search

allintext: 12-inch OR foot-long OR footlong site:subway.ca

turned up a number of results, the first page of which all had "footlong" or "foot-long" in the given excerpts.

Reply to
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:

Well, apparently I mean I *meant* to drop it. Sorry. Followups directed to alt.usage.english this time, at least.

Reply to
Mark Brader

A metric foot would be 30 cm, wouldn't it?

Reply to
Adam Funk

It is certainly what timber merchants use." transition" - possibly, but it's been with us for rather too long for that.

Reply to
charles

A ligneous equivalent of the grocer's thumb.

Reply to
Leslie Danks

Um, which is why I prefaced it with "on this side of the pond...".

Reply to
krw
  • charles:

The pound was first defined to be 500 g in Germany in the 1850s. A good hundred years later, it ceased to be an allowed measure in trade. It is now slowly vanishing from everyday language. So, maybe 100-200 years is realistic for this kind of transition.

Reply to
Oliver Cromm

Big difference there; you had before unification a good many measures, roughly but not exactly equal, with the same name. Standardizing

-them- was the first step.

ANMcC

Reply to
anmcc

Or 290mm.

When South Africa went metric in 1971 the price of building rose, because metric bricks were smaller and took longer to lay. Then a brickmaker introduced the M290 brick, whose longest dimension was 290mm, which made it bigger than the old Imperial bricks.

Reply to
Steve Hayes

For which values of "this"?

Reply to
Steve Hayes

Your location is not known to us by your posts.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

Are the blue ones of poorer quality than the original Gopher(tm) brand red ones?

Could you please tell me which one you use, where you got it and how it is better?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Dunno. I've only seen the blue one at Harbor Freight.

It has an aluminum shaft, better grip, and much better grasping jaws. I don't remember where I purchased it, though. I think it was about $15.

Reply to
Tony Cooper

Steve's is.

Reply to
krw

The standard British brick now is 215 × 102.5 × 65 mm; if you use the standard 10 mm joints, the length is twice the width or 3× the height. (I think the joints were smaller with the Imperial size.)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Reply to
krw