Natural Gas/propane fireplace inserts.

I'm looking for thoughts on the installation of these fireplace natural gas/propane inserts. We are unable to burn wood in our fireplace for health reasons and would like to install one of these inserts for heating and ambiance. Are they worthwhile?
tM
themeanies wrote:

Hi, Inserts is good. Heats room well not like wood burning FP. Clean as well. All my FPs are gas burning at home at cottage, at my kid's condo downtown. Pollutes less too compared to wood burning. Tony
Get one with ceramic glass. More expensive than tempered glass but well worth it. Some of the units with ceramic glass are as efficient as a good gas furnace. We have a large Heat n' Glo and love it. Used to have gas logs. They ate gas, were pretty to look at but overall were worthless. Highly recommend an efficient insert.

The newer 'ventless' gas logs do very well. With the unit turned up full blast, it will run you out of my 2800 sqft house in less than 15 minutes. Plus, they aren't as ugly as they used to be either....
I would never go ventless. If it is not allowed in a bedroom by code, it is not allowed in my house... period.
wrote

themeanies wrote:

How do these 'Vent less' fireplaces work. Don't you need some sort of exhaust?
tM
themeanies wrote:

The combustion is considered clean enough that they ven directly into the house. They usually have O2 and CO detectors built in to help keep them safe.
The good thing about these is that all heat produced goes directly to the house. Bad (possibly) thing is that the combustion gasses include alot of water, so some people claim to have humidity/condensation problems. Often in winter, humidity is down anyway... so the added moisture might be helpful.
--
be safe.
flip
themeanies wrote:

I used "vent-free" logs and cut a piece of aluminum flashing to stick up in the chimney opening. I think the vent-free logs burn hotter to keep from producing CO, and I had to go back and punch a couple of 1" holes in the flashing to cut down on the heat into the room. 100-yr old house with 4 fireplaces and no central heat :-( RJ