National Ammo Day

I thought that didn't take effect until January of 2010.
Cheri

As if that's gonna stop people from driving to Nevada,Arizona,or Oregon and buying a carload there. Hell,that's the next criminal enterprise;smuggled out-of-state ammo,sold out of auto trunks. then Kalifornia is going to whine for National controls on ammo,and the Appeaser In Chief and his DemocRAT Congress will oblige them.

one more reason for CA residents to stock up early. Especially the criminal element.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm leaving CA in July of 2010. :-)
Cheri
Cheri wrote:

Turn out the lights. You may be the last one. And yeah, that ammo business doesn't start 'til next year.
wrote Re Re: National Ammo Day:

Cheri, If you are the last American to leave, please take the U.S. Flag with you. You can leave the Calif flag with the Mexicans.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:44:32 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Don't forget some skin from the back of your neck, saliva sample, and psychiatrist's report.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

basically no ammo out there to be purchased as it was all purchased and hoarded by the ultra conservative nuts after the last election. Hell, I have had 9mm on order since early September and now it is not expected in until December 21st and I would be willing to bet that gets changed again.
The ammo manufacturers are certainly not going out of business. In fact, they have been working three shifts just attempting to keep up with demand.
Just point your browser to http://tinyurl.com/yb7ndrq and note that after you get down to the 4th row (after the specialty stuff) that everything is back ordered!
In short, your idea is not only a bad idea, it is also several months late.
Don

Holy crap. I haven't checked ammo prices in a while. That site gave me a headache. Two years ago, I bought .40 cal Speer Lawman for $10 per box.
IGot2P wrote:

described. And the cost of the little that is available is breathtaking.
IGot2P wrote:

The volume of ammo that has been purchased over the past year is far far in excess of anything that could be attributed to "ultra conservative nuts". The fact is that tens of millions of Americans have been buying both guns and ammo, including a lot of folks who formerly thought of themselves as pro gun control. It's been something of an awakening of people to their gun rights. In some left leaning states there are gun shortages as well, not just ammo.
IGot2P wrote:

Are you one of those ultra conservative nuts?
Remember, gun nuts should always be protected by a properly fitted cup.
TDD
Stormin Mormon wrote:

CORRECTION:
Each person buying 100 rounds is patchwork. There are (about) 260 million guns in the U.S. What needs to happen is each gun owner should buy 100 rounds PER WEAPON. For example, 100 rounds of 9 mm for my Uzi won't fit my AK47 no matter how many curse words I use. If that kind of standard is followed, we're talking 26 billion bullets.
Sadly, though, there are not 26 billion cartridges, nor, for that matter, 7.5 billion, available for sale. On the plus side, ammunition has a shelf-life measured in multiple decades, so one could start stocking up (and hope that he's not overtaken by events).
The market is, however, growing. A report out just today says there were over 1 million gun purchases in September (+12%). While gun owners are often like cat owners (they typically have more than one), this increase no doubt includes a significant number of first-time buyers. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article6917828.ece

The report doesn't mention (I know that) how many guns changed hands over an adult beverage. Then the numbers go up.
Oren wrote:

There's another possibility. In some states, possession of a Concealed Handgun License exempts the bearer from the NICS check, so the FBI has no knowledge of those transactions (probably not a lot). Some other folks are also exempt, such as peace officers.
Even though I'm exempt from an NICS check, I make it a practice to NEVER buy a gun from a dealer.

So, what do you do if you want a brand new gun?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

NIB or new to me? For new-to-me, I generally buy guns from individuals at gun shows (the so-called "gun show loophole"). Of these, there are two kinds: The guy who rented a table (~$100) to facilitate his private buying and selling, and the guy walking around with a gun in his hand (code for "stop me and ask how much I'll take").
I've picked up a couple of guns at estate sales, but they're generally over-priced.
Hint: If you represent a corporation, the corporation can buy a gun without a background check. This is most useful for buying fully-automatic weapons. When asked on the ATF form for the purpose of obtaining a fully-automatic weapon, the appropriate answer is "investment."
HeyBub wrote:

Other than the amusement of blowing $100 in ammo in a few seconds on the range, why exactly would anyone want a full auto gun? In my not so humble opinion, full auto is only good for wasting valuable ammo.
Pete C. wrote:

* Investment * Collecting (people spend MUCH more on a stamp) * Historical acquisitions * Mowing down the hords, i.e., "spray and pray"
Actual conversation I had with one of my customers in Masschusetts:
Carol: So what did you do this past weekend? Me: Oh, I went to a gun show. Carol: Gun show! What's at a gun show? Me: I was mildly surpriseD at the number of crew-served weapons there. Carol: What's a 'crew served weapon'? Me: A weapon that takes a crew to operate. Like a light machine gun or a mortar. Carol: What is someone going to do with such a thing? Me: Er, nothing. Carol: They've got to be doing SOMETHING with it! Me: Ah, no. It just the having of it. To own it. Carol: I don't BELIEVE that! They're up to SOMETHING! Me: Well, I guess I can tell you. Some are getting ready for the showdown. Carol: I GODDAMN KNEW IT!!!
Pete C. wrote:

Totally agree. It is amusing to shoot one once. Buying one is the mine is bigger than yours thing bragging rights thing for people who don't have a life. Same reason why people need giant McMansions and giant fluffed up trucks used as a one passenger vehicle.
George wrote:

Er, I have a giant truck as a one passenger vehicle... I also tow and haul stuff with it.