Nasty no trespassing signs

Page 4 of 5

Bob F wrote:

What would you do?
You can't drag him out to the curb for "heavy trash pickup." That would probably fall under "abuse of a corpse" which is against the law.

further down, there's the thread about how to abandon an old well....
HeyBub wrote:

Actually, I wouldn't shoot anyone in conditions that would require making up a story.
Call the cops immediately.

Ahhh. You do understand.
Bob F wrote:

--- Newsgroup tasteless post spotted sometime back ---
I FOUND A NEGRO IN MY FAMILY TREE !!!
So I cut him down and put him out by the curb.
----- End of tasteless post. Honestly, I don't see how people get away with uncouth things like that ---
Anyway, if you're gonna be all "responsible citizen" on us, your first call should be to 911 for an AMBULANCE. The entire conversation should be: "Gunshot victim, (address)." When the paramedics get there, THEY will call the cops. That way you're not on the (recorded) hook for what you might say to the police dispatcher.
Your SECOND call should be to your lawyer. If you don't have a lawyer, you should complain to the paramedics about feeling faint, heart pounding, chest pains, and priapism. They'll take you to the hospital so you can delay talking to the cops until you have adequate advice.

If that is how they do it in your area, I would probably quit as a medic. Everywhere else, you have a gunshot victim call they roll the cops (probably quite a few) immediately along with the ambulance. Depending on the area, there are some places where the ambulance protocols say the cops should secure the area before the medics are allowed in.

If you tell about priapism it has to be present for more than 4 hours (g). Or, you can tell the cops at the scene that you don't want to talk to them until your attorney arrives. And don't fall for all that bunk about how that makes you look guilty.
--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In my area the first words out of the mouth of the 911 operator are "Fire, police, or ambulance?" and they route you to the proper dispatcher (we have over twenty police agencies in this county). When you say "gunshot victim..." to the ambulance dispatcher, the ambulance dispatcher sends the paramedics then picks up the 'phone and notifies the police.
Our paramedics are not afraid of the neighborhood - very many of them carry guns (or so I'm told).

Why give them a reason ("... until my attorney arrives")? Why even tell them you don't want to talk to them? If you're at the scene, they'll arrest you ("Felony Possession of Marijuana" - later dismissed) so they can get fingerprints, gun-shot residue, DNA, etc.

Which is exactly what I said and a little different from your assertion that they will call the cops after they get there. You will still very much be on the recorded hook anyway since almost all of the EMS 911 centers are recorded.
--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Agreed - I misspoke. The paramedic DISPATCHER will call the cops, not the first-aid team on the scene. It's just that the police dispatcher and the ambulance dispatcher have different training and focus:
The ambulance dispatcher will ring the alarm, then ask if the victim is breathing, is there anything icky, like blood, etc., most of which you can answer without incriminating yourself.
The police dispatcher will ask: How many times was he shot, who did the shooting, are there any witnesses, where is the gun, can you fashion some sort of lathe, blah-blah-blah.

Heh heh.

LMAO. No, but I can read body language.
My meter reader hops and skips down the road.
Oren wrote:

While you're yelling: "Dance, pilgrim!" ?

Sorry Wrong but thank you for playing. In Texas as just one example any person intruding into the enclosed curtilage of a home during the hours of darkness is fair game. No warning required. Shooting them dead is justifiable homicide.

They don't have to be inside your home in most states. The attempt to enter is sufficient. You cant shoot them for knocking in the daytime but if they try the door nob you can put the full clip in the center of mass. -- Tom Horne
Tom Horne wrote:

Nope. Deadly force is justified for "criminal mischief during the nighttime" but simple trespass is NOT criminal mischief. else we'd be stepping over the bodies of trick-or-treaters.
Further, "Curtilage" is a specific legal definition found in the common law meaning an enclosed, roofless, outer area, like a patio, but is nowhere mentioned in the Texas Penal Code or Code of Criminal Procedure. In Texas we have no distinction between curtilage, outdoors, or inside regarding deadly force.
If you offer the defense of : "But yer honor, he was in my curtilage!" The judge will say "What the fuck is a 'curtilage'? Remanded."
Tell you what: You stick to the legal pomposity in Maryland and let me handle Texas.

Right. In some states they need only be in your curtilage or near your cowabunga.
Smitty Two wrote:

Good question. As a civilian I've never shot another civilian. I have, however, displayed my firearm three times in the past 14 years* (interestingly, twice in a Home Depot parking lot!) and mentally committed myself to using deadly force if the mope took one more step forward or raised his tire iron. Inasmuch as we have very discerning and rational squints, goblins, cut-purses, four-flushers, and goat-petters in my state, a fourth kind of close encounter was never necessary.
------ * It's been 14 years since my state passed a concealed handgun law.
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:56:28 -0700, Smitty Two

That's a fair question. As a civilian I've never shot a person. I have ordered two men to be SHOT, if they jumped from a building, even ordered the person to chamber her round of buck shot.
I'm not a tough guy, but I have been in hand to hand combat with a real Nigerian Prince before.

I haven't been tough-talking, but I have shot in the general direction of a person up to no good. I wasn't sure where they were, but they didn't know that. It happened to achieve the desired result very well. ;)
mike wrote:
(snip)

Firing without having a target? Firing a warning shot without a known safe backstop (like the ground or a hillside)? Okay, gotcha.
Hope you don't live around here, and that your neighbors are very far away.
-- aem sends...

Such places do exist. I can fire 270 degrees and not hit anything. The CLOSEST house in the 270 degree arc are five miles, and on many parts of the arc, there are no houses at all. Shotgun pellets do not fly far at all, anyway.
Steve
aemeijers wrote:

This is one of the first techniques a warrior learns.
It's official name is "covering fire" or "suppressive fire" and its purpose is to force the adversary to remain under cover and not return (what's known as) "lethal fire."
When faced with both a 100% armed assailant and an unquantifiable, but vanishingly small, probability of collateral damage, the warrior has no question and no hesitation.
HeyBub wrote:

He didn't say he was TAKING fire at the time, or even that the assailant was armed. Agreed, that would be a different situation. And if you are out in the boonies, the issue is probably irrelevant. In town, on the other hand, as any local LEO will attest, collateral damage is a significant issue. Hence light loads and frangible bullets being imposed in many departments.
-- aem sends...