Nasty no trespassing signs

Page 3 of 5

Van Chocstraw wrote:

Even better, you can buy fake corpses over the interweb. Impale it on a pike high up with a sign reading "Former Trespasser".
http://www.customcreatures.com/gallery.htm
TDD

signs? We are

rural properties.

shoots real bullets,

crazy ole

question:
seems to me

wide
I think that is the point of those signs.
A notice that leaves nothing open to interpretation.
If someone reads the sign and ignores it then that person is of your later observation (ie. burlar) because burglars are the ones who ignore the sign. So, now the burglar and the property owner are in agreement as to the persuasion of the would be intruder.
robb

I assume they try the door knob first to see if the door is unlocked. Attach a fence charger to door knob. WW
SteveB wrote:

I remember "Trespassers will be shot, survivors prosecuted" , and the good ole "Property protected by Smith and Wesson".
Several comments:
I've always wanted to have some signs printed up saying "Trespassers will be eaten."
On the serious side:
In many (most) areas of the U.S., the Castle Doctrine only applies to the inside of your house/trailer/car, not all of your property.
In many areas, you can legally shoot someone trespassing on your property, but ONLY if you have very specifically worded signs at minimum intervals around your property. Using your creatively worded signs won't cut it legally.
I knew some of the comments were in jest, but for anyone who might not know, in most of the U.S. at least any kind of intentional booby trap is illegal even if no one has any legal reason to be there. And they are certainly the definition of "premeditation" if that turns out to be important.
Larry Fishel wrote:

An old man calls the cops and tells them someone is trying to get into his shed. Cops say they are very busy and since no one is trying to get into his house turn on a bunch of lights and lock all doors. Old man waits five minutes and calls back. Tells cops there is no hurry since he just shot the SOB. Hangs up. THREE minutes later first sirens followed by multiple cop cars and an ambulance. Cops can't find anyone. Where is the bad guy? Old man says "I thought you were very busy".
Lou

Great one Lou!! I wanted to post that one, but couldn't find it in my archives <G>
Bill in Plano
Larry Fishel wrote:

Use of deadly force against a simple trespasser alone is never justified.

Use of booby traps is universally condemned and considered illegal everywhere. There are any number of people who can lawfully enter your property without your knowledge and even against your wishes.
* A peace officer with a warrant, * Fireman, paramedic, animal control officer, or anyone else under exigent circumstances, * A child who has no criminal capability, * A simple civil trespasser, * Meter reader, postman, delivery service, and the like * And maybe a hundred other classifications.

You should read a little about Joe Horn. I wish I had him for a neighbor.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=uFG&num 0&q=joe+horne+texas+protect+neighbor%27s+property&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi
Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=uFG&num 0&q=joe+horne+texas+protect+neighbor%27s+property&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi Robbery, Breaking and Entering, or whatever the perpetrators would have been charged with if they had lived is *not* an offense punishable by death.
I find it difficult to believe that even if the *cops* had been called and had witnessed the break-in or saw the perps exiting the building carrying the loot, they would have shot to kill.
Perce
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:53:38 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Think TEXAS!
Joe Horn solved an Immigration problem at the same time AND those shot were not even on his property.
He told the 911 what he was going to do, and then did it. Good for him.
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:20:29 -0700, Smitty Two

Check!
Fire now and answer questions later...
Oren wrote:

Glad you're not my neighbor.

My neighbors are glad I'm their neighbor.
Smitty Two wrote:

Well, he SAYS he regrets his actions. Probably so advised by his lawyer.
I have no doubt he privately says: "Hell yes I shot him and I hope he rots in Hell!"
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

In Florida, you can shoot someone if you are threatened. Does not have to be on one's own property.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

You are correct in that the penalty imposed by the state for robbery or burglary does not include the death penalty. However, here we're talking about the prevention or apprehension done by non-governmental citizens.
Texas Penal Code Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.
A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property: (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary: (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and (3) he reasonably believes that: (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
Texas Penal Code Sec. 9.43. PROTECTION OF THIRD PERSON'S PROPERTY.
A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property of a third person if, under the circumstances as he reasonably believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.41 or 9.42 in using force or deadly force to protect his own land or property and: (1) the actor reasonably believes the unlawful interference constitutes attempted or consummated theft of or criminal mischief to the tangible, movable property; or (2) the actor reasonably believes that: (A) the third person has requested his protection of the land or property; (B) he has a legal duty to protect the third person's land or property; or (C) the third person whose land or property he uses force or deadly force to protect is the actor's spouse, parent, or child, resides with the actor, or is under the actor's care.
Remember, this is TEXAS, not some pussy-whipped, left-coast, malfunctioning state.

how do you KNOW that a trespasser is a "simple" trespasser? Can you read minds?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Good question. The question that goes to the police, the prosecutor, and, perhaps ultimately, to the jury is: "Would a reasonable person in the same or similar circumstances have concluded the trespasser was a threat?"
If the trespasser is in MY bedroom at 3:00 a.m., wearing a mask and armed with a chainsaw, each of the above evaluators would probably tilt in one direction. If, however, the deceased is a letter-carrier with a signature-required letter in one hand and my door-knocker gripped in the other, the decision might tip in the other way.
On the situations that fall between these two extremes, its probably best to shoot first and tell the cops: "He screamed he was going to kill me!"
Actually, it's probably better to tell the cops nothing. And there's no requirement that you even HAVE to even CALL the cops. Maybe after the ball game...
HeyBub wrote:

Let us know how that works out for you.