Nasty no trespassing signs

You think so? Average response time in Dallas, Texas for a Priority 1 police call is 7 minutes. Must burglars are in and out in 5. A burglar alarm is NOT a Priority 1 call. 20 minutes, maybe? They'll be there in time to take the burglary report. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

I think it is better than just a homemade sign. My security system is so loud it will make you vomit before you find it. Anyone who trips it is going to consider a softer target. I do agree about the police response time.

Reply to
Thomas

signs? We are

rural properties.

shoots real bullets,

crazy ole

question:

seems to me

I think that is the point of those signs.

A notice that leaves nothing open to interpretation.

If someone reads the sign and ignores it then that person is of your later observation (ie. burlar) because burglars are the ones who ignore the sign. So, now the burglar and the property owner are in agreement as to the persuasion of the would be intruder.

robb

Reply to
robb

My uncle was a city cop and one day fell asleep in his parked patrol car. Somebody stole his hat and badge. His penalty was working extra free hours. Thinks it was fellow cop that took his stuff.

Reply to
Frank

NRA recommends not using reloads for self defense for same reason. Prosecution will argue that you made reloads to kill people. You should buy commercial ammo to kill people ;)

Reply to
Frank

I assume they try the door knob first to see if the door is unlocked. Attach a fence charger to door knob. WW

Reply to
WW

Funny, just the last couple weeks here the local cops have been leaving "scarecrow" police cars parked all over town.

Reply to
Tony

I remember "Trespassers will be shot, survivors prosecuted" , and the good ole "Property protected by Smith and Wesson".

Reply to
Tony

How long till someone spraypaints one of them?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Several comments:

I've always wanted to have some signs printed up saying "Trespassers will be eaten."

On the serious side:

In many (most) areas of the U.S., the Castle Doctrine only applies to the inside of your house/trailer/car, not all of your property.

In many areas, you can legally shoot someone trespassing on your property, but ONLY if you have very specifically worded signs at minimum intervals around your property. Using your creatively worded signs won't cut it legally.

I knew some of the comments were in jest, but for anyone who might not know, in most of the U.S. at least any kind of intentional booby trap is illegal even if no one has any legal reason to be there. And they are certainly the definition of "premeditation" if that turns out to be important.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

An old man calls the cops and tells them someone is trying to get into his shed. Cops say they are very busy and since no one is trying to get into his house turn on a bunch of lights and lock all doors. Old man waits five minutes and calls back. Tells cops there is no hurry since he just shot the SOB. Hangs up. THREE minutes later first sirens followed by multiple cop cars and an ambulance. Cops can't find anyone. Where is the bad guy? Old man says "I thought you were very busy".

Lou

Reply to
LouB

And even then, be careful. When presented to a jury, there's a difference between "Teflon-Coated Black Rhino Atomic-Devestator Fulminating Fragmentation Exploding Shells" and "Glaser Safty Ammunition." (The latter is a real bullet. It is "frangible" in that it disintegrates into dozens of pieces when it hits flesh, er, the target, thereby preventing ricochetes and over-penetration.)

"Yes, I used Glaser in my self-defense weapon because I didn't want my bullet to go completely through the horrid, horrid man who was terrorizing my family and continue through the wall and into the house next door and perhaps injuring an innocent baby asleep in its crib, secure in the knowledge that he was loved and protected by doting parents..."

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes. The sign should be in letters at least 1/2" tall against a contrasting background with identical wording in Spanish. It wouldn't hurt to have a red caption, in letter two or more inches in height, saying "Nota Bene."

Reply to
HeyBub

Use of deadly force against a simple trespasser alone is never justified.

Use of booby traps is universally condemned and considered illegal everywhere. There are any number of people who can lawfully enter your property without your knowledge and even against your wishes.

  • A peace officer with a warrant,
  • Fireman, paramedic, animal control officer, or anyone else under exigent circumstances,
  • A child who has no criminal capability,
  • A simple civil trespasser,
  • Meter reader, postman, delivery service, and the like
  • And maybe a hundred other classifications.
Reply to
HeyBub

Yellow police tape. Signs about clearing a minefield. ;)

Reply to
mike

BIG red letters: "Be aware of Invisibility"

Or, "You are NOW in range" (target symbol in the center of the "O")

So, did you have a talk with this prowler and that is how word got out?

Reply to
Oren

Great one Lou!! I wanted to post that one, but couldn't find it in my archives

Bill in Plano

Reply to
Bill Hall

Robbery, Breaking and Entering, or whatever the perpetrators would have been charged with if they had lived is *not* an offense punishable by death.

I find it difficult to believe that even if the *cops* had been called and had witnessed the break-in or saw the perps exiting the building carrying the loot, they would have shot to kill.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Think TEXAS!

Joe Horn solved an Immigration problem at the same time AND those shot were not even on his property.

He told the 911 what he was going to do, and then did it. Good for him.

Reply to
Oren

You should read a little about Joe Horn. I wish I had him for a neighbor.

Metspitzer