Nasty no trespassing signs

Page 2 of 5

John Grabowski wrote:

Funny, just the last couple weeks here the local cops have been leaving "scarecrow" police cars parked all over town.
How long till someone spraypaints one of them?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Tony wrote:

Sounds like your town needs to hold a vehicle auction, if their fleet has that many spares. In my younger days, I'd have been tempted to get a dozen buddies, and pick it up and turn it around.
-- aem sends...

lag between the time the car is "retired" and the next auction. So, they scarecrow them out so they don't take up space in the PD parking lots.
--
To find that place where the rats don\'t race
and the phones don\'t ring at all.
SteveB wrote:

The problem (rare) with witty signs is that they may come back to bite you, especially when viewed in a different context (such as your trial for manslaughter).
Prosecution: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you have seen ample evidence of premeditation on the part of the defendant. He freely admits to erecting signs on his property 'Warning, trespassers will be shot!' He then hid, like a spider, biding his time, until a child or fireman or innocent traveler entered his property so he could kill them with assumed impunity... You need to send a message to the would-be vigilantes in our community that taking the law into their own hands will not be tolerated!..."
Perhaps a better sign would simply be a recitation of the 'Castle Doctrine' law - sometimes known as the 'Make My Day' law - in your jurisdiction (if you have such a law):
"Warning! State law allows the owner of this property to presume harmful intent on the part of intruders. Such threats may be met, under law, by the use of deadly force. Any resulting death will automatically be ruled a 'Justifiable Homicide.' "

Houston has some very literate bad guys. Your schools must be much better than Dallas's. --- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Yes. The sign should be in letters at least 1/2" tall against a contrasting background with identical wording in Spanish. It wouldn't hurt to have a red caption, in letter two or more inches in height, saying "Nota Bene."
HeyBub wrote:

NRA recommends not using reloads for self defense for same reason. Prosecution will argue that you made reloads to kill people. You should buy commercial ammo to kill people ;)
Frank wrote:

And even then, be careful. When presented to a jury, there's a difference between "Teflon-Coated Black Rhino Atomic-Devestator Fulminating Fragmentation Exploding Shells" and "Glaser Safty Ammunition." (The latter is a real bullet. It is "frangible" in that it disintegrates into dozens of pieces when it hits flesh, er, the target, thereby preventing ricochetes and over-penetration.)
"Yes, I used Glaser in my self-defense weapon because I didn't want my bullet to go completely through the horrid, horrid man who was terrorizing my family and continue through the wall and into the house next door and perhaps injuring an innocent baby asleep in its crib, secure in the knowledge that he was loved and protected by doting parents..."
HeyBub wrote:

My neighbor has one of these Protected by Smith and Wesson signs:
http://www.smithwessonsecuritydealer.com /
and said he was getting their alarm services. Maybe all he has is the sign and a S&W,
Frank wrote:

The signs have been around way longer than the company, I'm sure. Sounds like a burglary invitation to me. Guns are theft bait for sure.
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:06:19 -0600, SteveB wrote:

Hmm, sign with "mind the big pit full of spikes" printed in tiny letters - and in front of it, a big covered pit full of spikes?
Heard several tales from neighbors that the old dear who used to own our place would to come out onto the porch and shoot at approaching salesmen - although I don't think she wasted her time with actually warning them first...
SteveB wrote:

others.
Get a real security system. They come with a real sign. By your description of the problem it is for real. Protect yourself the right way, the real way.
Thomas.

You think so? Average response time in Dallas, Texas for a Priority 1 police call is 7 minutes. Must burglars are in and out in 5. A burglar alarm is NOT a Priority 1 call. 20 minutes, maybe? They'll be there in time to take the burglary report. -- Doug

I think it is better than just a homemade sign. My security system is so loud it will make you vomit before you find it. Anyone who trips it is going to consider a softer target. I do agree about the police response time.
I think it is better than just a homemade sign. My security system is so loud it will make you vomit before you find it. Anyone who trips it is going to consider a softer target.
Loud works. But what's loud? We had a bunch of rain in Cen. TX. Wirtz dam makes Lake LBJ, about an hour west of Austin. They opened the flood gates Monday evening. We live about -3/4 mile from the dam, no line of sight, property between us is wooded. When the horn warning of the opening of the gates went off, it was disorienting. Wonder how the people felt that have line of sight and mile distance.
Douglas Johnson wrote:

They still come out for burglary calls in your town? I'm in a tiny tiny suburb of a small town, and I have trouble even getting them to take a phone report. They don't even pretend to investigate.
-- aem sends...
: They still come out for burglary calls in your town? I'm in a tiny tiny : suburb of a small town, and I have trouble even getting them to take a : phone report. They don't even pretend to investigate.
In my little town of 3500, the police department closes at 5pm and on weekends. Calls are taken by an answering machine.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Here is a good sign: Please don't feed my pet grisly, trespassers give him diarrhea.