Nasty Bolt

Page 2 of 2

I've found that the WD-40 sprayed on the bolt will somtimes both separate, and lube.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Oh, I don't know. I've been welding for 31 years now, and I have seen it work many times to get a bolt out when nothing else will. In some cases, it melts the seizant used when the bolt was installed.

Because maybe the head is the part seized onto the shaft. Once the nut portion is ground off, heating, twisting, and a little punching should get the blade off, and allow one to get to the threads, which is the part holding it all in there. And the shaft of the bolt, which is an ideal place to apply torque.
Or, as you suggest, one could just take a sledge hammer to it............
Steve

It seems that way in theory, but it works in practice. I had an AC bracket on my '67 Pontiac Catalina with the 400 c.i. V-8 and since it was a convertible and the AC was broken, and I couldn't remove the sparkplug from the #1 cylinder, I decided to take the AC compressor bracket out. I had cheap 3/8" socket wrenches and with my hands and maybe a cheater bar actually super-torqued the 6" extension so that the top was turning and the bottom wasn't moving at all.
Got another extension, ran the engine for 10 or 15 minutes and got the bolt off with upper moderate to great effort.
Used a propane torch to heat up my motorcycle crankcase, and got out all the bolts that I couldn't otherwise. Had stripped the head of the first one. (They hadn't been turned since 1967, iirc.) I didn't heat the bolt heads, but went around to the side of the case, sometimes several inches below the head, and heated that.

I agree with you here.

Maybe a lighter hammer. You just want to knock the guy out, not break his skull.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:24:54 -0700, "Steve B"

And whack the Vise Grip with a hammer. I've never been able to damage a Vise Grip and they're not that expensive anyhow. And the shock of the hammer is like an impact wrench but cheaper.
Harbor Freight has an electric plug in impact wrench for about $80. Goes on sale often for $40. That, and a ten dollar black impact socket set. Very often the rattling of an impact wrench will free up rusted on bolts. I've had good results with removing rusted on wheel lugs, etc. So your mower bolt may respond to impact wrench.
Heat it up with a torch will often assist. If you don't have acetylene, the yellow tank Mapp torch from Home Depot does a very nice job.
Please let us know how it works out.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.