NASA spinoff

Fellow space freaks and other technology buffs might enjoy a visit to

to see how many practical applications, including those for house and other repairs have come out of the space program and keep coming.

I get the NASA feed by email, so keep up on space news, practical and just thrilling.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs,

Used to read TechBriefs. It was not uncommon for someone to claim to have invented something that had been in common use for a long time. I take NASA's claims with a grain of salt.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Hi, Space program is not just waste of money. Many trickle down technology(industry). My high school buddy has a patent on special electrical cables which don't break or crack in extreme temperatures. He is one of designated supplier by NASA.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Do either of you actually know the story about that failure ? I do , I worked on that booster system , in several capacities . A good friend was still employed there and I got the real skinny the day after the crash . And yes , a chilled o-ring caused the failure , but Floriduh just doesn't get that cold - unless there's a liquid hydrogen line leak spraying . Back story to the whole episode is that the Thiokol engineers told 'em not to launch , politics overruled and people died . Pretty much like politicians everywhere . It's easy to spill blood when it ain't your own .

Reply to
Snag's Shop

IMO everything he's done is part of his agenda to destroy the USA . And there is no media outrage because they're part of it though there are signs that some are awakening to what is really going on . I just hope it doesn't come to armed conflict before it's all over ... but I'm afraid it may come to that . -- Snag

Reply to
Snag's Shop

that the private sector always does it better

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

nah, your obsessions are already too funny

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

but good old private companies are going to take up the slack, aren't they? SpaceX comes to mind also Virgin

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

ny

I will NEVER forget watching on TV as the late, much-lamented Richard Feynm an -- one of the authentic geniuses of this or any era -- did his thing wit h the glass of ice water and the O-rings immersed therein. While all the s tuffed shirts who had been dicking around for weeks in the so-called "inves tigation" looked on, Feynman said -- masterpiece of understatement - I almo st remember the exact words, modestly spoken: "I think this may have some relevance to our investigation.."

He had gotten up early in the morning and found a hardware ? store open to buy the needed supplies for his demonstration.

Whatta guy! They still tell tales at Caltech about how somebody would put a problem on the board; the other physicists would be going through the rou tine steps; Feynmna would just stand there. Suddenly he would write the co rrect answer on the board while the others were still plowing through their steps. If I were a religious person, I'd say he was in touch with the "di vine". Whatever...things just came to him via a different path...

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

214.html#ixzz30JQbNjWZ

Yea, there's a new SciFi movie coming out called "Space Virgins". ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

But, but, the private sector is run by the evil rich one percenters! o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The original colonists revolted account of oppressive government. Back then, far less than we have, now. I'm amazed the subjects of USA have put up with so much, in the last few years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's the only place you can find people who haven't been screwed over by govt?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Obummer will *never* match the man that did the most REAL damage to America since the Hoover era.

Let's see, the worst terrorist attack on US soil ever occurred on his watch.

The biggest financial collapse since the Great Depression occurred on his watch.

The worst natural disaster response ever (Katrina) occurred on his watch.

The biggest lie ever told (Saddam has WMD's) got us into two wars that nearly bankrupted us was told on his watch by his Secretary of State.

The United States was turned into a police state that spied on the phone calls and internet activities of ALL Americans on his watch.

The United States began its drone program to kill US citizens merely *suspected* of terrorist connections with no court supervision under his watch.

The United States came up with legal justifications to torture people and try them in secret courts and imprison them in secret prisons under his watch.

Funny, the Founding Fathers wanted to make sure we never engaged in the secret "Star Chamber" courts of England and he almost single-handedly brought the Star Chamber back on his watch.

Can you name the President that did the most damage to America in the last 60 years? Hint. It *wasn't* Obummer. Obummer's the man that got stuck cleaning up this man mess.

Reply to
Spork

He has a very odd way of cleaning it up. You cite drones for example, and blame Bush for that. Yet Obama has greatly accelerated the use of drones, which BTW, I and most Americans agree with. Just last week, we took out 55 terrorists that were training in Yemen.

As for the economy, perhaps you;d like to cite what Bush specifically did that caused the mortgage collapse. The factors that caused it were spread across a whole lot of bad actions going back decades. Just one example is giving speculation in housing tax breaks, while requiring wage earners to pay rates double that are double. And if Obama has fixed it, why is the economy still struggling and going no where

5 years after the recession ended?

You blsme Bush for turning the US into a police state with phone surveliance, yet not only didn't Obama end it, he greatly increased it. It seems Obama only wants to stand up to Republicans in Congress. Anything else he has control over, could take direct action, foreign policy, he just hides.

And finally, there were no lies over WMDs. The best intelligence at the time from the US, Britain, Israel, and UN indicated that Saddam still had WMD and WMD programs. It was never up to the US to prove what Saddam had or didn't have. Intelligence is not perfect. Do we know today exactly what Korea, Iran or Russia is really doing? It was the other way around. Under the agreement that ended Saddam's rape of Kuwait and his totaly defeat by the allies, Iraq agreed to fully cooperate with the UN weapons inspectors, to fully disclose all their WMDs, programs, allow free interviews with any scientists, managers, govt officials involved, etc. For a decade, Iraq failed to cooperate. On the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom, with 400,000 coalition forces on the border, Iraq still would not comply. Hans Blix, no friend of the USA, said so in his final report to the UN.

If Bush failed to act and later used WMDS, you'd be the first one to be here bitching and calling for Bush's impeachment. I can see it not. "Hillary, John Kerry, Ted Kennedy.... an endless list of Democrats said Iraq had WMDs and they were a threat to the world" Bush is an idiot because he failed to act and should be impeached.

Nice to be a Monday morning quarterback. BTW, where is your similar outrage over what's gone on in the Obama administration. Let's just take one example, the IRS. What went on there is a direct assault on Americans constitutional rights by the most feared of govt agencies. You have Lerner taking the fifth before Congress, the IRS stonewalling in turning over documents to Congress. It's almost a year later, and we still know almost nothing about what went on. It's the closest govt scandal to Watergate. Where exactly is your outrage about that?

Reply to
trader_4

did they cast you?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

that's racist

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

106

Yes they did. I'm going to play the part of an Islamic Space Terrorist who blows up a space station believing he will go Space Paradise and get to bugger 72 space virgins. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Kill Whitey! ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I thought this historic program had a lot of merit. Sad that the gentlemen back then didn't get any press. Well, not until now.

Stormin Mormon