name of this hinge?

See link:

This exterior door hinge is mounted to the interior face of the door. It has a right angle bend to it, forming a flange about 1/4" wide. The mating half is flat and mortised into the jamb.

I would like to source new hinges of this exact size and style, but I don't know what to search for. Is there a name for this particular style of hinge?

Reply to
Smitty Two

this is the closest i could quickly find

but not exact

Reply to
ChairMan

They're an offset hinge and I've not seen one in like 50+ years other than the couple of pairs that have that were taken off some doors in the old farmhouse here--they were used in several places but are of ca. 1915 vintage. Lots of luck in finding a current source--I've no ideas where to tell you to try.

Oh, maybe some of the preservation/restoration sites (but they'll undoubtedly be priced at a premium if find them there, either)???

--

Reply to
dpb

It appears you were on the right track and if you would have gone just one page further...

Gordon Shumway

Are these

anywhere close to what you want?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Thanks, and note that McMaster is a frame-based website (I think that's the right term) so sending a URL will not take the viewer (me) to the same thing you were looking at. In this case, your link and Chairman's link took me to the same page.

That said, it does seem like "half-surface" is a useful search term.

Reply to
Smitty Two

House was built in 1952. It's likely looking that I will be re-using the old hinges. I can take them off for refinishing. Just thought if I could readily buy new, I'd do it.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Thanks. Offset seems a good word, but a google image search for offset hinge wasn't fruitful. As I mentioned in another response, house was built in 1952. These are definitely odd. Just noticed this evening that although each half has four mounting holes, the pattern is different. I guess I'll be reworking the originals. Probably better than what I could buy now anyway.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

What about "step hinge"?

Using that term, I get Google Images results that kinda-sorta look close to your photograph.

Reply to
Tegger

Looks like half mortise/half lap hinge. From 1930's-50's. Restoration places usually have them. Installation is usually paired with glass/ hollow brass door knobs. Have a few pairs, but I used it for backup. Can't remember who made it. However, if you strip the paint you may find who manufactured it. Ones I have were diamond shaped mark and mfr's name on it.

Reply to
a2rjh

Hey, I think this could be it, found by searching "half surface hinge."

Wish they would show an end view. But the hole patterns are correct.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Better NOT to refinish the old ones. Give the new one a patina; dip and hang over vinegar in a closed container. May take a while though.

Reply to
a2rjh

I ordered the "oil-rubbed bronze" finish. That should go with my new scheme. If they don't match what I have (from what I can tell, they will) then I'll return them, and just sand blast and paint the old ones.

Reply to
Smitty Two

The hinge is a half surface, if it were mortised in the door and surfaced on the jamb, it would be called a half mortise. The terms are often misapplied, so check both. You will probably need to work with an order desk or commercial hardware supplier as I doubt they will be on the shelf at the Borg.

Reply to
DanG

"half surface butt hinge" gets a lot...

dadiOH