Name of fitting?

I need to buy some fitting to fit into the steel cover of a jerry can (for diesel fuel) that fits the following description.

1/8" ID.

Nipples for 1/4" ID flexible fuel line.

I would drill a hole in the cover, insert two parts of the fitting from both sides and tighten/screw together. Then I would attach flexible fuel line to both ends/nipples.

What would be the name of this fitting and where could I buy such a thing?

thanks

Ignoramus5751

Why do you need fuel line on both sides?

Chances are you won't find *one* fitting like this, but it can probably be made up from several component pieces. Go to a plumbing supply house and tell them what you want to do. They'll help you put something together. Or just browse the racks in the plumbing department at Home Depot or Lowe's, and use your imagination.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Sounds like he's trying to make a fuel tank...

Finding a barbed fitting to make a through sealed connection may be a trick...don't recall ever having seen such--most tanks have a welded connecting tube.

Hmmm....how heavy a can? I think I'd be tempted to braze a piece of tubing through the hole, methinks...Just maybe, though, a short nipple w/ a compression fitting on each end be made to work?

BTW, don't use galvanized w/ diesel just in case you're tempted.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Called "bulkhead" fitting. In small sizes like this, it's an aquarium store item. Lots of selection in larger pipe sizes. GOOGLE: bulkhead + fitting

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Aha! A fuel tank. If the intent is to pump fuel out of it, don't forget that the tank needs a vent to allow air *back in*. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I want the line inside the jerry can because it needs to pick up the fuel from close to the bottom (but not the bottom). I need the line outside to deliver fuel to the diesel generator.

Thanks.

Ignoramus5751

exactly!

It is a jerry can 5 gallon.

Thanks, I am curious why!

Ignoramus5751

Good point, thanks.

So, what would be the name of the fitting I am looking for?

Ignoramus5751

On 12/17/2004 1:29 PM US(ET), Ignoramus5751 took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

You do know that the military made Jerry can caps that were made for this specific purpose, don't you? They had a metal tube that went to the bottom of the can, and the cap had a vent. There are probably thousands of them laying around. Finding one is the problem. Perhaps on Ebay.

Reply to
willshak

I looked at them, including at mcmaster.com, they look quite different.

Reply to
Ignoramus5751

I looked around and could not find one.

I have a military gas generator with a jerry can adaptor (which I am currently selling on ebay, it is pristine), but that adaptor is for gasoline. Diesel requires a return line also.

Reply to
Ignoramus5751

I was thinking of whether it was thick enough to perhaps thread...another poster reminded me of what I hadn't thought of--bulkhead connectors, but not sure exactly what you'll find...bound to be something.

Reacts w/ the zinc (slowly)...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Look at the top two fittings on this page. Keep in mind this are aircraft fittings.

Andy Asberry

You have a great point. I hope that it is indeed thick enough to thread. I have a jerry can and ordered an extra cap for it, to make adaptors. My plan is the following:

  1. Add a fuel line adaptor 1/8" ID.
  2. Add a return line adaptor 1/8" ID. (this is a diesel generator, see

  1. Add a 1/2" NPT threaded hole that will be normally plugged, for refueling without disconnecting fuel lines

  1. Add a tiny pressure equalizer tube pointing downwards

  2. If I can find it, find a fuel level sensor that could fit. i am doubtful that I can find one, but maybe I can.

i want all of that, preferably, to fit into this cap. I am fine with not having the sensor.

Oh, I see, thanks.

Ignoramus5751

What I think I really need is the following:

1) two female 1/4" compressor connector (coupler) plugs
2) a 1/4" threaded nipple 3) two rubber washers of appropriate diameter.

The nipple goes into the hole, two compressor plugs screw on the nipple from two sides, the washers to be on both sides. I was at harbor freight 2 days ago, could have bought the couplers... Will probably buy them on Saturday.

Ignoramus5751

why not just go buy a portable 6 gallon boat gas tank vent, fuel gauge, and basic fittings already there.

Reply to
bumtracks

What's the fun in that??? :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

does it have a opening for a return line?

Ignoramus5751

I looked at those fuel tanks. First of all, they do not have a return line fitting. Adding a fitting to a polyethylene tank may be a hassle. My plan for what I am going to do is to attach these fittings to the jerry can cap, which I can do easily with my drill press etc.

Secondly, they cost substantial money and I already own a metal jerry can.

Ignoramus5751

Ok simple solution, use a 1/4 compression x 1/8 pipe thread (NPT) fitting, in the lamp section they have nuts that are 1/8 npt. Use the nut to secure the fitting in your lid. Then drill out the inside of the fitting with a 1/4" bit. You can now slide a piece of tubing down to the depth desired slip on the ferrule and nut and snug it down. You can use copper tubing but a better choice would be nylon air brake tubing. It's black for sunlight resistance and flexible. You can get it at any truck parts house. BTW it's good practice but not 100% necessary to extend the return line down to the same depth as the supply line. If the return line is above fuel level over a period of time air can creep up the line and cause you to lose prime, making starting in an emergency. Dave

Reply to
Dave Morrison