Name of fitting?

Page 1 of 2
I need to buy some fitting to fit into the steel cover of a jerry can (for diesel fuel) that fits the following description.
1/8" ID.
Nipples for 1/4" ID flexible fuel line.
I would drill a hole in the cover, insert two parts of the fitting from both sides and tighten/screw together. Then I would attach flexible fuel line to both ends/nipples.
What would be the name of this fitting and where could I buy such a thing?
thanks

Why do you need fuel line on both sides?

Chances are you won't find *one* fitting like this, but it can probably be made up from several component pieces. Go to a plumbing supply house and tell them what you want to do. They'll help you put something together. Or just browse the racks in the plumbing department at Home Depot or Lowe's, and use your imagination.
Doug Miller wrote:

Sounds like he's trying to make a fuel tank...

Finding a barbed fitting to make a through sealed connection may be a trick...don't recall ever having seen such--most tanks have a welded connecting tube.
Hmmm....how heavy a can? I think I'd be tempted to braze a piece of tubing through the hole, methinks...Just maybe, though, a short nipple w/ a compression fitting on each end <might> be made to work?
BTW, don't use galvanized w/ diesel just in case you're tempted.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Aha! A fuel tank. If the intent is to pump fuel out of it, don't forget that the tank needs a vent to allow air *back in*. Jim

Good point, thanks.
So, what would be the name of the fitting I am looking for?

exactly!
It is a jerry can 5 gallon.

Thanks, I am curious why!
Ignoramus5751 wrote:

I was thinking of whether it was thick enough to perhaps thread...another poster reminded me of what I hadn't thought of--bulkhead connectors, but not sure exactly what you'll find...bound to be something.

Reacts w/ the zinc (slowly)...

You have a great point. I hope that it is indeed thick enough to thread. I have a jerry can and ordered an extra cap for it, to make adaptors. My plan is the following:
1. Add a fuel line adaptor 1/8" ID. 2. Add a return line adaptor 1/8" ID. (this is a diesel generator, see
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel /
3. Add a 1/2" NPT threaded hole that will be normally plugged, for refueling without disconnecting fuel lines
4. Add a tiny pressure equalizer tube pointing downwards
5. If I can find it, find a fuel level sensor that could fit. i am doubtful that I can find one, but maybe I can.
i want all of that, preferably, to fit into this cap. I am fine with not having the sensor.

Oh, I see, thanks.
why not just go buy a portable 6 gallon boat gas tank vent, fuel gauge, and basic fittings already there.

bumtracks wrote:

What's the fun in that??? :)

does it have a opening for a return line?

I looked at those fuel tanks. First of all, they do not have a return line fitting. Adding a fitting to a polyethylene tank may be a hassle. My plan for what I am going to do is to attach these fittings to the jerry can cap, which I can do easily with my drill press etc.
Secondly, they cost substantial money and I already own a metal jerry can.

What I think I really need is the following:
1) two female 1/4" compressor connector (coupler) plugs http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber607
2) a 1/4" threaded nipple 3) two rubber washers of appropriate diameter.
The nipple goes into the hole, two compressor plugs screw on the nipple from two sides, the washers to be on both sides. I was at harbor freight 2 days ago, could have bought the couplers... Will probably buy them on Saturday.

(for
be
and tell

just
and use

would you be looking for a bulkhead fitting perhaps? or would one work

I want the line inside the jerry can because it needs to pick up the fuel from close to the bottom (but not the bottom). I need the line outside to deliver fuel to the diesel generator.

Thanks.
On 12/17/2004 1:29 PM US(ET), Ignoramus5751 took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

You do know that the military made Jerry can caps that were made for this specific purpose, don't you? They had a metal tube that went to the bottom of the can, and the cap had a vent. There are probably thousands of them laying around. Finding one is the problem. Perhaps on Ebay.

I looked around and could not find one.
I have a military gas generator with a jerry can adaptor (which I am currently selling on ebay, it is pristine), but that adaptor is for gasoline. Diesel requires a return line also.

Could you adapt a boat gas can to this - they have the fuel pick up already in place and I know from experience the external fittings will accept commonly available barbed fuel line fittings, just a matter of buying the barbed fitting (probably at the same store you buy the tank) and screwing it into place.
Example of tank http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/order/items.cgi?spec+2C4E
Here's a diesel conversion kit they sell at West Marine. Looks like it converts a marine gasoline can to diesel use w/ return?
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId 001&langId=-1&catalogId001&productId6397&catalogId001&classNum&subdeptNumx&storeNum=6
Example of barbed fitting which you'd use on the fuel tank and to make a return (see below). If url doesn't work, go to www.westmarine.com and search for "fuel hose barbs". http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId 001&langId=-1&catalogId001&productIdr748&catalogId001&classNum&subdeptNumx&storeNum=6
But these are available in most good hardware and /or boat shops.
Portable gas tanks are very cheap and available in any size you want from 2.5 gal to 10, 12, 20, etc.. I would say, cheap enough so that they are cheaper than messing around and driving around trying to figure out how to adapt a gerry can.
The portable gas tank will get your fuel easily to the generator. For the return, just take another of the same barbed fuel fitting and attach it through a drilled hole in the gas can, with a nut and washer inside and out.
Good luck please tell us final solution!
Camilo
Thanks for your good ideas. I read your post after I finished my work. I want to thank everyone for their input. With a bit of metalworking, I arrived at the final solution.
I made a diesel fuel tank out of a military USMC Blitz Jerry can;
See
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/onan/Diesel/fueltank /
Normally, this fuel container would be closed by another jerry can cap, and I would use the one with adapters to run the generator. The two adapters are for the incoming and return line, appropriately labeled. The incoming one, obviously, has an extra length of hose to reach almost to the bottom of the tank.
I used compressor fittings, rubber and steel washers cut to fit the profile of the cap. It is all very solid and airtight.
The fuel lines are long (6 feet each), have ball valves on them very close to the fuel tank end, to prevent spillage when they are disconnected from the line, and also to prevent air from entering the system. I will simply stick the lines on when required, no clamps. As the tank stands on the ground, there is zero vibration and so no need to clamp the lines, they would hold by themselves.
There is a tiny air hole in the fuel can that can be opened by simply unscrewing the cap a turn or two. Very smart design.
Total cost:
Diesel fuel can: $40 including shipping and very nifty mounting bracket (it was just the right kind that I needed) Washers: free Compressor fittings: about $1.99 from harbor freight.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId 001&langId=-1&catalogId001&productId6397&catalogId001&classNum&subdeptNumx&storeNum=6
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId 001&langId=-1&catalogId001&productIdr748&catalogId001&classNum&subdeptNumx&storeNum=6
Ignoramus5751 wrote:

Called "bulkhead" fitting. In small sizes like this, it's an aquarium store item. Lots of selection in larger pipe sizes. GOOGLE: bulkhead + fitting
Jim