Nails for door frame

I know, generally one would use framing nails either by hand or gun, but what size nails are appropriate for an interior prehung door and frame? This is a prefabbed 6 panel hung door you buy from Home Depot. Not solid core or the 6 panel pine door. It's very light. Do you think 15 gauge finish nails would do the trick?

Thanks

Reply to
SBH

Never heard of a 15 gauge nail, but 3" screws will serve you better, since they can be loosened/moved for adjusting as needed. They're no harder to caulk, putty or cover than nails, either.

Reply to
1D10T

It's a 15 gauge finish nail gun. Therefore, I would think the obvious is 15 gauge nails but not sure of their actual number size such as number 8 penny nails. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Reply to
SBH

I believe its 4d nails. Look at the installation manual online, it should tell you what to use. I think the name HD uses for doors is Reliabilt.

Reply to
Mike rock

15 gauge finish nails are fine from a gun, but if you hand nail, you could go a little larger. Do NOT use framing nails of any size. The heads will be unsightly on the finished product.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Its not the gauge but the length.

You would use finish nails of what ever size you need to go through the jamb, any shims and then into the 2x4 framing enough to hold the door.

To the PP who suggested 4d nails, the 1 1/2" nails are not long nor heavy enough.

The general rule of thumb is the nail should be 3 times the thickness of whatever you are nailing. So if you are nailing a 3/4" jamb your nail would have to be at least 2 1/4" long. Something more like a 8d or a 16d if you have a big shimmed gap.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

The door assembly you buy will have detailed instructions on installation with it. The manufacturer's web site will also have these instructions for downloading. Simply follow the steps outlined with the tools/materials required and your job will turn out fine. A 6' and

2' level will be very useful for setting plumb. Useful info in TOH archives also suggest a diagonal storyboard for getting the rough opening just right. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It's a function of the length and number of nails. If the nails aren't long enough, it doesn't matter how many you throw in there.

If the frame is shimmed correctly the 15 ga nails will be fine if you use enough of them and they are long enough. The nails should penetrate about an inch at minimum into the framing.

RicodJour