nails & fastners needed for PT lumber

howdy
I am bonna build a shed in my backyard and I need to know if anyone knows of some sources (other than the net) for stainless steel nails and screws for working with the newer types of pressure-treated lumber out there.
I hear with the copper content being so high, they rot out regular steel and even the lighter-weight galvanized hangers, nails and screws.
SO far I can only find screws and nails on line and I would prefer to buy them locally. I live in Raleigh, NC, os if anyone knows any suppliers located within a 2-hour drive, I would appreciate it.
Please respond via the group - thanks in advance
USENET NEWSREADER wrote:

Most all hardware stores and building supply stores carry stainless steel screws. I've never seen stainless nails but they're probably out there. Word is that you can also use hot dipped galvanized hardware, but not electro-galvanized. They even make brass coated screws that are supposed to be compatable with the copper content, but I found that they break very easily. Bob S.

MAYBE they carry a small selection of screws and these are just for the boating crowd. There just isn't a wide selection of SS fasteners at BIG BOX or "local" hardware stores.

The only place I have seen them is on the TV shows. Somehow, the local places never got the word.

Well, if the copper in the wood is destructive to the fastener, how could plating the fastener with a copper alloy help the situation?

You need an electrolyte (IE water and the other salts in the pressure treated lumber) for the nail into wood to act like a cell and destroy the nail. If the nail is completely coated in a copper alloy, it won't react between the iron two metals (no electrolyte).
And for those of you thinking double dipped galvanized is a good idea, look up Volta's pile.
--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
John Gilmer wrote:

What's eating up the hardware is corrosion between two dissimiliar metals, i.e. copper & steel. The more similar the metals are, the less corrosion.
USENET NEWSREADER, 8/6/2005, 10:22:32 PM, wrote:

The lumberyard where I bought the ACQ treated lumber had gobs of approved fasteners. Call them up before you buy on the Internet. Shipping will be horrendous. You should be able to find what you want at Home Depot and Lowe's also. Stainless Steel and Double Hot Dipped Galvanized are what I know to work. Regular Hot Dipped Galvanized may work for quite a long time also, but for a shed you may want the good stuff.
--
"I miss. I miss. I miss. I make."
Seve Ballesteros describing his four-putt at Augusta\'s No. 16 in 1988.

This may not be 100% accurate, but about a year ago someone told me galvanized nails are now pretty much not adequate to pass code at all on new construction around here.
Lowes carries lots of stainless steel screws. Some of my local hardware stores also have a god supply (actually avoid Home Depot and just look in Lowes and if you have a boating place nearby check there first). I can get small stainless steel nails lots of places. I use them all the time (I don't used that galvanized crap anywhere, even indoors). For the bigger nails to purchase locally you might have to get aluminum ones instead.
Cripes! I used to live in Raleigh. There is a lowes and a home depot, as well as a few local places not yet out of business. I can't name the local places -- the two I frequented died before I moved out.
Any place, including lowes and home depot, that sells the new PT lumber will also sell the fasteners. Look for double hot-dip galvanized. No, scratch that. Just look for anything labelled for the new PT lumber (ACQ, I beleive it is called). They will also have a wide variety of tie-downs, plates, etc, all made just for PT lumber.

And you can be assured they are the lowest quality available.

A two hour drive is not very local, but heck, we all like to take a ride sometimes. How far is Lynchburg VA from you? Maybe 3+ hours?
McFeelys is one of the best sources of both information on the lumber ( http://www.mcfeelys.com/acq.asp ) and fasteners needed for it.
x-no-archive: yes
USENET NEWSREADER wrote:

The clips (hangers) for your fence should be ACQ compatable, at least they are where I live. If you are not sure, ask. I installed over 400' of fencing recently and getting enough SS nails was a bit tricky. Call your local fencing contractor for info on where to get them. I did and I found a good supply at a cedar mill just north of here.
BTW, double dipped galvanzied nails are fine for ACQ.

x-no-archive: yes
BTW, you emailed me re. the SS nails.
Just call any fencing contractor in your area. I am sure they will know where to get a good supply of SS nails. I am way up in Canada. But I dealt with http://www.aquilacedar.com/ if you want to call them.
USENET NEWSREADER wrote:

First have you confirmed what you have heard? That is is there documented evidence that this happens? Just being a doubting Thomas. If this was really true the liability for the PT makers would be very high.

snipped-for-privacy@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
snipped-for-privacy@fw.private.neotoma.org wrote:

You know, I've been wondering about this too. They swapped out the arsenic for something else in PT lumber. So what? The copper content is likely exactly the same. (And all of the claims made so far involve the Galvanic action of two disimilar metals for the problem: iron and copper.) I doubt if the arsenic present in the old stuff formed any protective alloy with either the iron or the copper. Does the new component (some oxalate or something) react with the protective zinc coating on galvanized nails to destroy it faster?
I'm skeptical of the hype I have read - all of it from guys trying to sell you expensive special nails or screws.
Come back in ten years or so and I'll let you know if there's any real difference: I recently completed a small project using new PT lumber and the same old galvanized nails I've always used...

Have you tried Stock Building Supply, Guy C. Lee or First Source (They had a store on US64 between Apex and Pittsboro - not sure if they are there still).

snipped-for-privacy@www.spam.com is a garbage address.
On 8/6/2005 10:22 PM US(ET), USENET NEWSREADER took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Lowes (where I bought my PT screws, I didn't check at HD). Phillips deck screws for new PT formula. Anti-camout rib screws (ACR) with screw bit in box. Duralast coating (looks like drk. grey paint). These screws claim to be paintable and stainable.
--
Bill