Nailing/Stapling new hardwood flooring

Page 2 of 2
Tom,

I doubt an extra layer of paper under the flooring will have much effect on sound transmission. You're talking about less than 1/32", and you'll still have hundreds of nails for sound to travel through.
In any case, if you insist on it I would use two layers of rosin paper instead of the roofing felt. Roofing felt stinks and will give off fumes as it slowly off gasses over time. Breathing in tar is not great for your health over the long term.
You don't really want too much give under a hardwood floor. The tongues and grooves will rub together as the boards flex, causing squeaks. Probably increasing the sound transmission you were trying to avoid.
You might have been able to install a layer of that felt backing they use for laminate floors, then a 3/4" underlayment on top of that. Then your hardwood flooring would nail to the underlayment. Basically, the entire floor would "float". This would reduce sound both by increasing mass and by isolating the floor from the structure. But, it would increase the thickness of the floor and may cause other issues I'm not aware of.
Anthony Watson www.cookingsoftware.com/anthony.htm

1. Use only the fastener that the manufacturer recommends, the flooring I used recommended staples so I purchased the recommended pneumatic stapler.
2. I would not have used roofing felt as I do not see any benefits for the tar paper but many problems with smell and allergies when used indoors. Be sure to use rosin or waxed paper between the plywood and the hardwood flooring.
3. The flooring you have chosen is a stained maple wood, be aware that maple does not absorb the stain very deep. Any scratches that go through the finish and stain will expose the almost pure white wood through the scratch.
Options Unlimited is devoted to provide excellent and premier wooden floori ngs to clients.Our floors not only complemented with high quality but with peerless durability, artistic tastes and innovative designs that adds beaut y to your treasured space and offers remarkable value for your invested mon ey.
For more information you can visit on ->: http://www.options-unltd.com/woo den-flooring.html
SPAM AD:
Opt.... Unli..... is devoted to provide excellent and premier wooden floorings to clients.Our floors not only complemented with high quality but with peerless durability, artistic tastes and innovative designs that adds beauty to your treasured space and offers remarkable value for your invested money.
For more information you can visit on ->: http://www.opti......./wooden-flooring.html