Nailgun - easy question

Ok, just got my fist brad nailer. Question: how do you avoid the ding (gun mark) in the wood that results when nailing? Obviously, I am doing something wrong here.
KJ wrote:

Electric or air? If its air, turn the pressure down.
--
Grandpa

Too much air pressure and or the depth dial is set too deep. On the side of the gun there should be a dial for the depth adjustment.
Should be a rubber or plastic tip on the nose of the gun to prevent dents.
KJ,
Almost every air nailer will countersink the nail to some extent and you want it to do that. In doing so, there will be the so called 'ding' mark left. If it's on unfinished wood you can use wood filler found in the paint dept. It's sandable and fills the ding very well. If it's painted/tinted they make fillers that are colored--still in the paint department. I would never go back to using the hammer just to get a nail flush but I do keep a good supply of the nail filler compound.