Nailer Size Recommendations

Hi, I need to trim my entire house and have bought a compressor and need some recommendations on the size of nailer I would need to best do the job. As far as I can tell, I would want to purchase either a 16 or 18 gauge unit, or possibly, it might take both, but I don't know.
I would primarily be installing the smaller trim pieces around the room and window casings. Trim would likely be clamshell molding, ranch casing, quarter rounds and shoe moldings.
Would I best be served by a 16 gauge unit, an 18 gauge, or would I need both. I think that as far as I can tell, 16 would be ok for the ranch casings and similar sized trim, but I'm unsure of using a 16 on the smaller quarter rounds and shoe moldings. Would I need an 18 gauge unit for that, or can you use a 16?
Thanks for any help,
Danny
I use a a cheap Senco (Accuset) 16 gauge brad nailer for base molding (3.5" high x .~5/8 thick) .shoots up to 2 1/2" brad.
To install base shoe (3/4 x 3/8 ) I use a Porter Cable BN200 that shoots 18 gauge brads up to 2" long.
Any piece thinner than 1/2 could be at risk of being split by the 16 gauge brad nailer.
IMO the 18 gauge is way too small to use for base but is great for shoe & other delicate trim.
I went through your questions about a year ago & decided I wanted both. I even considered getting a 15 gauge finish nailer instead of the 16 but when I had the chance to get a 16 cheap I went that way.
I think the the relative "diameters" are as follows
18 gauge . 048" 16 gauge .063" 15 gauge .072"
so the big jump is from 18 to 16 gauge, I figured that 16 & 15 were pretty much the same, plus the 15 gauge guns weren't cheap
cheers Bob

I use a 16G brad nailer with 2" brads for everything except the shoe mold. For shoe mold I use an 18G with 1.25" brads. Mainly I use the smaller one because I already have it and it is east to use. You might be able to do both jobs if you buy a 16G that goes from 1.25 to 2. If using the 16G for shoe adjust the depth/pressure to avoid splitting.
Colbyt
Danny,
I own a full set of air nailers and IF I could only have one nailer it would be the Stanley SN60FN (Finish nailer). It'll shoot a 2 1/2 to shorter and is an all-around general purpose nailer. Also, the Stanley nailer is easy to get spare parts for and you'll also find generic nails for this nailer at the Home Depot.