Nail Spinner

Page 2 of 3
On 10/10/2011 10:03 AM, RicodJour wrote:

Yeah, I've got a garage sale Yankee 130A sitting here I keep meaning to order bits for, if I can ever find them at a decent price. Still shiny, even- just like the one my father has, that I used as a wee lad. 10-15 years ago, I found a new-in-package one, bits and all, at an old hardware store that was going under, and I sent it as a gift to my nephew, who was starting to get into woodworking at the time. He even got the old family ShopSmith MK V, as we sorted out stuff during one of the ongoing family moves and relocations. My brother had gone through it, fixed up the wiring, and cleaned and trued it up. It has to be as old as I am, and still works, AFAIK. It even saw a decade or so actual money-making use, with my father's construction company.
--
aem sends...

They still sell them. You don't see them for the same reason you don't see many Crescent wrenches. There's better tools. Last time I had a Yankee I only used it as a drill instead of breaking out a power drill. Didn't do that well either. Never drove a screw with it. But if you have bad wrists or the Yankee works for you, use it. The plumber I worked for had an 8" Crescent for compression nuts. I used it on our jobs and it kinda made sense for him, but I've never used a Crescent otherwise except as a kid on my bicycles, and never owned one.
--Vic

Vic...? Please contain your youthful exuberance and refrain from disparaging something you know nothing about.
For decades the Yankee driver was the tool of choice for locksmiths. Not mom and pop locksmiths, union installing 45 floors (Manhattan, obviously) of door hardware locksmiths on a tight schedule, and well after the advent of cordless driver/drills.
I won't presume to educate you on more than one thing at a time, and explain to you all of the reasons it's been so popular, as I've already met my quota. ;)
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:14:24 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Fine then. I met my quota for pissing off people about tools too. Check this out. http://www.garrettwade.com/improved-yankee-style-screwdrivers/p/08C03.01 /
I want one, but not quite enough.
--Vic
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:56:23 -0500, Vic Smith

before. He left when I was 10 at the age of 64. I be 69 now and wonder how much longer I can use it and do dips and chin ups at the gym.

Hey, Joe...? It's probably best if you don't use tools while exercising. You could put your eye out! ;)
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:25:36 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

resides there at all times.

What part of the planet do you actually frequent? Crescent (aka adjustable) wrenches exist in the world at same frequency as Yankee & Yankee style screwdrivers?
Unbelievable.....
Did that plumber tire of listening you spout misinformation & fire you?

Nope, never saw one. Never needed one either.

I know just fine how they work. It's not brain surgery. Googling every reference to nail spinners I found some fans, 5 or 6. One guy was a professional trimmer and used it until he moved on to a gun. I wouldn't argue with him. He made money with a spinner. But I asked you before what happened to your spinner when you said you pine for one. You didn't answer, so I guess you don't even have one. Mike lost his spinner. Looks like nobody here has a spinner anymore. No big deal. A few door casings are easily pre-drilled. The bright side is I learned that nails can work as drill bits. Thanks RicodJour! For kicks I'm going to chuck some in a drill and put some holes in scrap hardwood when I get back in the garage. See how that works, since I've snapped some small bits drilling pilot holes. Had to leave some in and cover with putty. I'm wondering if the nails don't twist off too, but nobody mentions that. I''l see for myself.

Now you're catching on. Nobody sells my "stories." And nobody sells nail spinners.
--Vic

re: "The bright side is I learned that nails can work as drill bits."
So can wire coat hangers.
They're great for drilling through thick walls, like through the sill plate, then through the sheathing, siding, etc. as a means to locate the hole on the exterior.
They work prttey good on cement block also.
If you know where you want to go out through the wall, drill through from the inside with a sharpened coat hanger to ensure that where you come out will work on the outside. If it works, enlarge the hole from both sides. If it doesn't, you've only got a tiny hole in the siding/ block to caulk. No major damage.
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:22:42 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Neat. Thanks. I'm going to chuck up a piece of coat hanger and give it a whirl.
--Vic
On 10/10/2011 5:28 PM, Vic Smith wrote: (snip)

Chuckle. In my longhair hippie scum days (many decades ago), that is how I would rewick candles, or make candles out of odd chunks of wax that followed me home. Prewax the twine to make it stiff, make a hole with the coat hanger, and work the new wick in while it was still all slippery.
(I don't think I have even lit a candle in ten+ years, even a utility candle used as heat source for DIY projects...)
--
aem, waxing nostalgic, sends....

Great idea. I try to light candles on my late parent's birthdays as a remembrance.
-- Bobby G.

Another new tip. I made thousands of candles in the few weeks I worked at Crown candle in Portland, OR. Hardly remember a thing, except no coat hangers.

I always have a supply. Good for power outages and romance. Mostly power outages.
--Vic
On 10/10/2011 7:40 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Well, this wasn't really MAKING candles, it was more like salvaging candles where they had burned a hole down the middle, or putting a wick in a chunk of industrial wax (like used for making lost-wax molds, I guess.) My mother would always get pissed when I melted wax on stove, even if I used the nastiest old baby double-boiler out of the basement. Never had the patience for dipping candles, or those infamous milk-carton candles where you pour wax over ice cubes or other things, to give an artsy look.
I gave up trying to be creative with candles in college, after I first saw an artisan making carved candles- 30 or 40 dips in different colors of wax, and then slice and twist and weave the wax while it was soft. Way too pretty to burn.
--
aem sends...

On Monday, October 3, 2011 10:34:31 PM UTC-4, DD_BobK wrote:

I actually have two braces and a "Yankee" screwdriver (the latter with some small drill bits that go with it.) Never used a nail spinner though. Wil l have to keep an eye out for one at yard sales. In my defense I don't do a whole lot of trim carpentry, is probably why I haven't been exposed to th is.
nate
On 10/1/2011 9:40 PM, RonB wrote:

Rueful chuckle- as bad as my close-work depth perception is getting (what with my blurry-anyway eyes pointing in different directions), I always do pilot holes for hammer-driven finish trim work. One of these days, I'm gonna have to assemble and teach myself to use that HF trim nailer I bought with the 40-buck pancake compressor last year. (Not like I'll ever being doing production work for money again- and for chores around here, I can drive 3 nails and stare at the work for 30 seconds while the compressor cycles.)
--
aem sends....

-snip-

Even that pancake will probably keep up. I've poked over 100 brads with an 8 gallon tank charged to 100 pounds.
When you put that thing together, be sure to put some padding on your forehead. You'll be smacking yourself for not getting around to that a long time ago.
It is one of *those* kind of toys.
Jim
On 10/2/2011 7:38 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

It is the chores themselves I have been avoiding, not the 'put the tools together' part. Got some baseboards that need redoing, as well as the insides of most of the closets. I've also got a power miter saw I have yet to open the box on, from a couple 3 years ago.
Amazing how easy it is to put off stuff, with no SWMBO in the house, and low standards. If the neighbors can't see it, there is no hurry, etc.
--
aem sends...

"RonB" wrote in message wrote:

On further thought, I do remember chucking up a finish nail to pre- drill holes in hardwood trim to ensure fit and no splitting.
That is what I ended up doing, but it still split the wood. That would not happen with the spinner.