nail or screw stair treads?

The carpenter is building my basement stairs tomorrow, he is going to nail, but which is better. Could he use a pocket hole jig underneath on the stringers?
Just wondering...
CathyLee
I prefer using screws, just like on subflooring. Less chance of them working loose and developing squeaks and creaks.