Nail hole filler-before or after staining?

They just finished installing the wood trim on our addition and we're going to stain it ourselves. When do I fill the nail holes, before or after staining? Any tips from the experts would be appreciated we're novices.
Thanks!
This is only my opinion. If you are staining any medium to dark color, the stain will probably take much darker on the filler than on the wood itself. So, what I do is stain, varnish and then fill with one of the colored fillers .... I like the ones in the small squeeze tubes. BTU, if you fill before varnish, the area around the hole will be "stained" by the filler compound although if you use oil stain (my preference) the water soluble filler could be washed off the surface before varnishing.
ok wrote:

<< When do I fill the nail holes, before or after staining? >>
Depends on the type of wood, trim nails, power nailer or hand nailed, predrilled, etc. Most people would fill the holes, allow a decent cure time, then stain. If the holes have a bit of wood fuzz around the edges, the stain can accentuate it and look amateurish. A bit of experimentation on some scrap material would be best to get the results you want. HTH
Joe
After staining a scrap of trim go to the paint store to get one or several shades of Color Putty to match your colors. Install after installation of stained trim, but prior to varnish/urethane/lacquer.
See here: http://www.colorputty.com/history.html

I like to take some sawdust from the wood trim and mix it with a little wood glue and fill the holes with it. After sanding it smooth, it takes almost the same stain as the wood.
that is how my Dad who did furniture upholstery for over 30 years it works very well
Wayne