Mythbusters Blows Up Water Heater

Page 1 of 2

Awesome!
I don't have my speakers hooked up but they were laughing their asses off and so was I. The slo-mo version at the end is priceless. Houston, we have a launch, over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q&feature=player_embedded

They made another version for a 2 story house mock up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_p23dce8U

Now that look like fun.

When I was in High School we were shown a very similar saftey film in shop class. You would of thought they had learned by now not to show kids things like that.
Jimmie

The house across the street turned into a rental upon the death of grandma. 1st renter installed an old wood cookstove in the basement that had a waterback. He didn't like the looks of the pipe stubs so he put pipe caps on them. First fire he wound up with shrapnel throughout the basement, fortunately, none penetrated to the first floor.
Harry K
Red Green wrote:

OMG I love it!

A well laid out plan produces satisfaction. Ditch those pesky expensive parts!

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nqbbrd.jpg [Gotta love the "X"'s]
Ol' Buster took a hard hit in that bathtub. He should gets a chek for dat.

The home where our pastor grew up was virtually destroyed around them early one morning when the water heater blew. His parents bed on the second floor was moved several feet and the main floor was basically demolished. Miraculously no-one was hurt.
Thre's a good reason they require safety over-temp and over-pressure valves today.

About a year ago the boiler blew up at one of the frat houses at OSU, and it effectively totaled the building. I'm not sure why the over pressure/over temp valves didn't release. It did a *lot* of damage and they condemned the building because of it.
http://firegeezer.com/2008/11/17/oregon-frat-house-ka-boom/
On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:45:08 -0500, clare wrote:

Wonder how many folk bother to check the safety valve every once in a while?
One in 500 trillion? If you open them to test, they usually leak.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 11:24:13 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My hot water tank is in the garage and the vent opens to let hot water run on the front outside entrance. A small screened area.
I open it to rinse and wash down the floor there and it doesn't leak. Perhaps it is because I use it on occasion that it doesn't leak.
Just saying it is not a one time use thing.
A reminder that International code calls for the discharge line to be installed without a trap, to be able to empty by gravity. Reason they called for that was for the garage installations, or those little outside-access closets, etc. Ones where water could potentially by in the pipe and freeze, effectively blocking the discharge, Also, I find it interesting how many discharge lines are done with PVC.

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 03:46:36 -0800 (PST), Michael B

in Canada. You CAN change it to copper. What is more surprising is how many are installed with NO discharge piping attached to the safety blowoff valve - - - .

I never watch that show but that was cool.

Could the pressure in the tank push back against the cold water supply ?
6.168.3.70:

Sure can, when my dad had a gas station we started getting steam out the water pipes. We found it was coming from the restaraunt next door.
Jimmie
TheHack wrote:

The heater in the video was configured to a worst possible case scenario, with all ports plugged and all safety devices disabled. In most homes there is a back flow check valve on the water supply, so there isn't much of any push back possible.
Even with some push back, if the water temp has gone high enough in the heater, when the system ruptures at any point, even a toilet supply line at the other end of the house, you still have a catastrophic depresurization, reduction in the boiling point of the water and flashing to steam situation.

You make it sound so dismal. Good job:-)

The only problem with your "flash to steam" idea is with a fairly small leak the flash is self regulating. The pressure will drop slowly (in a 200 PSI sense) When this blows the bottom out of the tank there is no regulation and it really goes.