Myth: Heat Rises

Page 3 of 4

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:14:44 +0000, JET_FEATHER

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_air_balloon
You are welcome!
CWM
JET_FEATHER wrote:

So on the moon, for instance, if some hot air was released from a storage vessel, it would just stay put, since there is no cold air to displace it. Is that right? PHYSICS.
is no cold air to fall and displace it? PHYSICS.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

That sounds about right. It would spread out obviously, And eventually, other forces than gravity would move it further and eventually disperse it into space. I'll guarantee a hot air balloon, or even a helium balloon, won't rise on the moon.
Bob

There is no cold -- only the absence of heat. More physics
On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:07:59 -0500, "The Streets"

There is no up or down, only in and out...
CWM

You never met my mother-in-law then.

Someone once told me that light doesn't exist either. It's an illusion caused by the lack of darkness. He also claimed to have invented a new electronic component: the DED (Darkness Emitting Diode).
In that case, what if sound is only the absence of silence? How about a device that emits silence? Would it work on someone snoring loudly? :-)
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

My brother-in-law came up with the idea of a reverse microwave. Put something in it and turn it on and it sucks heat out of the object really quick.
Chris
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 13:37:24 -0600, Chris Friesen

Is it a superconducting device, which will work when suspended in liquid nitrogen? I heard of one of those once.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
snipped-for-privacy@xmail.com0.invalid says...

Darkness Emitting Axial Diode.

How about: http://www.bose.com/controller ? event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=qc3_headphones_index

Indeed. ;-)
--
Keith

J Seymour MacNicely wrote:

You are basically right, the heat loss through the floor will be mainly due to radiation, and foam isn't a very good barrier. You should have a reflective foil in the floor to stop radiation.
http://www.radiantbarrier.com/physics_of_foil.htm http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/radiant/index.html
Paul

Wrong. Foam is opaque., It's an excellent radiation barrier. Glass is also a longwave IR (heat) barrier.
Nick

No thanks.
Nick

Not a supporting cite, just a cite.
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00890.htm
Eigenvector wrote:

is what bothered me. I should have snipped the aside about glass.

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/1721.1/26827/1/24882071.pdf

Interesting. I don't see anything there about glass, and it looks like radiation blocking additives only increased the foam resistance by 6% (page 3) or 5% (page 32.) An 80% cell wall IR transmittance is less important with more tiny cells in series, altho that raises the cost and conductance.
Nick

Perhaps I was unclear. I was addressing the foam issue.
and it looks like