Mystery sound in my kitchen

I'm hoping that someone can help.
We have a very high pitch sound, somewhere in our kitchen that we can not find. We even shut off the electricity to the whole house to see if we could localized it. Still there with no electric!
I am absolutely stumped.
Brad
Brad Blair wrote:

It is present all the time, day and night, windy or not, hot or cold?
Check the windows, try opening one and see if the sound stops.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
It started yesterday. Much, much too high a pitch to be wind. And, absolutely steady in tone and volume. Brad

Brad Blair wrote:

Shut off the main water supply and bleed off residual pressure by opening a couple of faucets.
If you have gas appliances (range), shut its gas off; often a pilot light will squeal.
Jim
I might try that. We did open a few facets to see it changes, but it didn't. The source is also very hard to localize, but does not seem to come from a water facet. Also, it never changes in pitch or volume and is very high pitched.
It "sounds" electronic, but I don't see how its possible!
Brad

Brad Blair wrote:

Did you turn off *all* the electric, including 240V (usually an outside panel, the in-house breakers don't control things like your range that run on 240V)?
We have a mechanical clock on our Jenn-Aire range that makes a very annoying and hard to locate noise sometimes.
JGM
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JGM) wrote in

Where do YOU live? Everywhere I've been, the only thing not controlled from inside was the air conditioner (control box next to the compressor)
NJBrad
I turned off the main breaker, including the one to the air cond and heard it go off.

Got a digital clock radio that might have a backup battery in it? And, did you try the suggestion (already posted) about opening a couple of faucets and turning off the main water supply? Finally, where is your water heater located?

Brad Blair wrote:

Brad Blair wrote:

The note about the gas line (assuming you have gas heat or a gas stove) is a good idea. It also could be a safety issue.
Also look for any battery powered or back up devices including smoke or CO detectors. How about your telephone? Disconnect the line where it comes into your home.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
<< We have a very high pitch sound, somewhere in our kitchen that we can not find. >>
Don't forget that the 17 year cicadas are coming out now and they are known ventiloquists. HTH
Joe
Success!
You won't believe this....kind of embarassing, actually.
It was a battery-powered meat thermometer. No kidding.
Thanks to all that helped.

damn. i was hoping it was a ghost or something....
randy

We had a case where a brand new electronic controlled range was intermittently beeping. We had our technicians go out 3 times and never heard the sound. So at the insistence of the customer we ordered in a new electronic control to install into the range.
While preparing the range for service the technician finally heard the sound. He traced it to a nearby drawer where a smoke detector with the batteries running low was found to be the culprit.
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+stove
=~~~~~~
clipped

noise" moments. We were in living room with the TV on. He could not hear it, of course. A butter wrapper had fallen out of the trash can and was being chewed on by ants. Ant spray = no more sound.
damn... that is a LOT of ants!
NorMinn wrote:

I had a really bad smell near the return vent of my central air unit (upstairs). Smelled like AC unit was on fire. Called repair guy out. He could not find problem. After a few days (smell was REAL bad) I happened to put my hand on the wall near the switch for the ceiling fan in my bedroom (right near return vent) and the wall was HOT. I had that switch out of that wall within a minute. I don't know how the house did not burn down.
Dan O. wrote:

I had a similar thing happen to me at the office last week. A beeping sound coming from somewhere around my desk that I couldn't localize. Shut off my laptop, monitor, disconnected every wire, still happened. Finally traced it(after much puzzling) to the box that I was using as a 'stand' for my laptop. A box which held a cordless phone...whose battery was running down... Augh!
Eldred
--
http://www.umich.edu/~epickett
Screamers League