Mystery Problem with GFI

The outlet in Bathroom 1 has a GFI. There is one line feeding the line side, and there are two lines on the load side. This same GFI is used for the outlet in Bathroom 2 since the BR2 outlet loses power when the GFI on BR1 trips.

The GFI is tripping even with nothing connected to either bathroom outlet. The problem is that there is obviously something else connected to the circuit, but I cannot figure out what it is. As I said, there are two lines on the load side of the GFI. One of them feeds the outlet in Bathroom 2. I have no idea where the other one goes, so I can't find out what on that circuit is causing the trip.

Even further, there are two lines tied together on the Bathroom 2 outlet, as if something else is fed off of that outlet. How can I find where the other wires go? They're in the wall. The GFI is not bad. It was just replaced. It doesn't trip if I power the GFI but leave the lines on the load disconnected.

What else is likely tied to the GFI?

Reply to
mcp6453

An outdoor outlet?

Reply to
Bob

That's exactly what it was. We had the house pressure washed yesterday, and water got into the outside outlet. I had no idea it was on the bathroom GFI. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
mcp6453

There's an inductive load on the same circuit, and when it switches off it's creating a voltage spike that the GFCI doesn't like. (my bathroom fart-fan trips the GFCI every once in a while when I switch it off (and it's not connected thru the GFCI, just on the same circuit and taps off at the same junction box)

Something with a motor, and a switch that *snaps* off.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Just shows that ones circuit breaker/fuse record should show 'everything' that is connected to each. Not just a brief description such as 'Bedroom outlets'!

Reply to
terry