Mystery pipe?

What is a prolly regulator????

Reply to
clare

The old days? I replaced my water heater a year ago. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Some new fangled safety devices are a good thing?

.

A friend's boyhood home had a water heater explosion early one Sunday morning. It lifted all the floor boards from the joists, most of the joists from the foundation, and the floorboards from the upstairs floor as well as blowing out all the windows and lifting the roof. Apparently it took several weeks to get the old farm-house livable after. Neighbours a few farms away felt the shock as well as hearing the boom.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What did you pay? I think I'm on borrowed time... :(

So you have a relief thingy on the LINE, and not on the heater itself?

Reply to
Existential Angst

All the hot water tanks I've ever seen over decades had a combined temperature and pressue relief valve installed on the side of the tank itself. EA doesn't say if it has that in addition to the mystery thing or not.

Reply to
trader4

That was a joke. Whosssh!

Reply to
trader4

$237, plus $33.98 for the flex hose connector kit, in December 2011 at Lowes. The relief valve is on the side of the tank near the top. The tank that leaked was installed in 1987. The thermostat is at 120F which may extend the life of the elements and the tank. When I need hotter water to scrub pots I heat a teakettle.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Sounds reasonable, esp. before relief valves were integrated into the heater itself. Funny, I have TWO of these 1/2" lines going thru the outside wall, the other proly went to the old old berler. Gas furnace, now. If it weren't so cold, I'd dig down a bit on the outside of the wall, see if dirt accumulated over the outlet. Just curious..... And might come in handy, as I can proly snake wires thru these pipes, to get power to the outside. :)

Reply to
Existential Angst

Just in case there is some confusion, this apparent pressure relief thingy is on the cw LINE, not on the tank. My tank has a built-in one, as well, as I'm pretty sure was mandated by law at least 20 years ago.

So I'm going to scrap the one on the line.

That's a great price -- 40-50 gal, I presume. I got my 50 gal kenmore a bunch of years ago on sale for $160, now I see them for close to and over $1000!!! At both Sears, HD.... wtf???? I'll check out Lowes. I really should start preparing for when mine goes.... it's way overdue....

Reply to
Existential Angst

new tanks are more efficent and safer too.....

although electric tanks are 100% efficent less standby losses newer foam insulation cuts operating expenses dramatically

Reply to
bob haller

new tanks are more efficent and safer too.....

although electric tanks are 100% efficent less standby losses newer foam insulation cuts operating expenses dramatically =================================================

I wonder what the bottom line is, cost-wise? Or better yet, cost-to-own-over-10-years- wise, what with electricity being more expensive, but then more efficient. There should be boucou tests on this. Sounds like a good thread..... :) I'd consider an electric. But I think the regenerative time of gas is faster?

Funny, gas seems to predominate in water heaters, electric in clothes dryers..... Poss. cuz the H20 combustion product dudn't help the drying process??

Reply to
Existential Angst

An overpressure in the tank should pressurize the inflow and outflow too.

Reply to
Stumpy

it is some sort of weird attempt at a drain line going outside?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I see very little difference between the new foam and the old fiberglass ones. With add-on blankets both use a bit over 1 KWH per day, the bill was for 33 KWH last month. Without the blanket the foam one used 1.5 KWH/day. I didn't record the old one before installing the blanket. Both pipes are insulated up to the ceiling. I set up a spreadsheet to extrapolate the daily use from shorter meter reading intervals so showers and laundry wouldn't interfere.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Depends on where you are, gas is popular where gas is cheap, the folks had gas water heating and a gas clothes dryer for 40 years, most of the neighbors had the same. Newer parts of town had houses that were all-electric, there was that scare back in the '70s where we were running out of NG and they stopped permits for it.

Electricity is going to go nowhere but up, what with power plants being shut down per Big O's war on coal. Unless he puts the skids on natural gas exploration, gas will continue to be the cheaper option along the pipelines.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

How about a photo?

Reply to
DD_BobK

In NYS, there is a public ed campaign going on, about the "dangers of fracking". From what I can figure, in PA, they do a LOT of hydro fracturing to get the natural gas out of the ground, and no one seems to think it's dangerous. In NYS, I used to see a lot of signs with the circle slash "/FRACK/". I suspect that's part of the admin's war on business and war on cheap, effective products.

.

Depends on where you are, gas is popular where gas is cheap, the folks had gas water heating and a gas clothes dryer for 40 years, most of the neighbors had the same. Newer parts of town had houses that were all-electric, there was that scare back in the '70s where we were running out of NG and they stopped permits for it.

Electricity is going to go nowhere but up, what with power plants being shut down per Big O's war on coal. Unless he puts the skids on natural gas exploration, gas will continue to be the cheaper option along the pipelines.

Stan

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

natural gas prices are dropping thanks to domestic drilling, and even before that electric was far more expensive to heat water or dry clothes... plus recovery time of electric water heaters is slower.

Reply to
bob haller

Our temperature and pressure valve sits on top and it is a contemporary model boilermate. But since you haven't seen one it probably doesn't exist.

George

Especially if the water supply has a working pressure regulator on it - I'm still putting off adding an expansion-tank to the cold wqater supply at the HWH.

Reply to
MLightner