Mystery Lock

Page 1 of 2
I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.
http://wkrp.org/Temp/lock.jpg
I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.
Anybody here know its real purpose?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 4/3/2016 12:05 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Chastity device?

+1
On 4/3/2016 12:05 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

lock. So, it must have had a use. Please let us know, if you find out.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/3/16 4:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's for a pintle hook trailer hitch. Locks around the ring on the trailer to prevent it from being towed away.

Men are supposed to put this lock on their penis BEFORE they begin drinking alcohol. That way, after they get drunk, they can not screw any "nasty" women..... <LOL>
Sorry, I could not resist....... :)
On 4/3/16 4:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

If not for a pintle ring, it's probably something similar for railroad use. Brass lever type locks with barrel keys are popular with railroads. Not applicable to a Janney coupler but perhaps for switch gear or similar.
It definitely has the look of a railroad lock.
On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 11:05:22 PM UTC-5, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

http://www.antique-padlocks.com/pc_misc.htm
Here is something similar. A "lever" padlock. Looks like a lockout to me.
On 04/03/2016 09:03 AM, WWS TEXAS wrote:

Good find...I've never seen a lock like that and I do have some old padlocks here.
On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 11:05:22 PM UTC-5, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Put it on a doorknob inside where the door opens to the outside.

The hinged body of the OP's padlock would separate it from all these examples of pancake locks .. and also from the 100's of round vintage padlocks from my google image search ... What is the size of the OPs padlock ? John T.
--- ---
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

When locked it is 3-1/4" OD, 1-1/4" ID.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I should have mentioned its size. It is 3-1/4" diameter and has no lettering or other markings on it.
It may be a one of a kind prototype made by an toolmaker in a lock manufacturing company.
Or maybe a thesis project for someone in locksmith school. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 2:55:41 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 6:59:09 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

a message from wkrp.org
NO HOT LINKING ALLOWED! As far as I'm concerned it's a dead link.
On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 18:49:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 9:41:08 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

with sooooo many sites. Since killing it, it is no longer an annoyance.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

Chrome works fine too.
--
RonNNN