Mystery ceiling leak in Kitchen/ LR

A few weeks ago my son called me at work. " Pop,there's water coming thru the kitchen ceiling." By the time I got home the drywall of the ceiling had started to cave in. The plumber said the toilet seal was bad and replaced it. I was skeptical of this since the toilet was fairly new. Anyway the leak stopped completely and we watched it closely for 3 weeks. Finally we decided to go ahead and replace the sheetrock in the ceiling. On the night before the work was to begin a severe thunderstorm came thru with very heavy rains. Not only did the kitchen ceiling begin to leak again but we also had another leak in our adjacent living room ceiling. I called the drywall people and told them to hold off. The fact that my ceiling was leaking again and we had a heavy rain could not be a coincidence. Clear rain water was finding its way into my house. I'm having my gutters cleaned out tomorrow just in case. My gutters are a bit "dirty" but not bad. I have them cleaned thrice a year. What other problems should I look for to determine the cause of water leaks inside my house during a rainstorm? There were no signs of a leak in our attic during this same storm. The leaks appear to be confined to our kitchen and LR in our 2-story home. Many Thanks for any suggestions!!!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Check your vent stacks. One is usually close to the toilet and sink running thru the roof. the seals may be bad or flashing is defective.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
Hopkins wrote:

I had a plumber, used at the customer's request, use silicone caulk to hit up a joint in the vent that didn't quite fit well enough for the glue to work (too much of an angle - idiot). I usually go over the subs work with a fine tooth comb because I'm, well, a pain in the ass - didn't pick it up, everything looked right. Ten years later there's a growing discoloration at a ceiling/wall junction right near an AC register and right below a valley cricket. Had to open the wall to discover it wasn't the other suspects, but the vent letting that little bit of rain water drip through.
I don't know how silicone caulk became the answer to so many questions but I really wish it would stop.