Mysterious Water on Carpet

Page 2 of 2

let's see, he posted at about 1530, and you post the above a few hrs later ?
dayyuum ! All that "LETHAL" mold must have done him in !
On 9 Jul 2006 12:32:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Release the carpet from the base edge and see if you can trace the water. Often a baseboard nail will get driven into a pipe where it comes up through the bottom plate. This can be fairly easily repaired by a plumber. You can remove a small piece of sheetrock after pulling a section of the base to a joint and feel for wetness. Cut the paint line at the base top with a sharp knife to prevent peeling the paint up the rock. Measure from the door to bath faucets/supplies to locate wall piping areas to narrow your search.
--
Mr.E

Twice over a two year period, I had a hot water supply line break under the slab of my Arizona house. The first time I noticed the sound of water running and a lack of hot water. All of the water stayed under the slab however there was enough damage under the slab that I began to get some serious wall cracks very soon from settling. Insurance company said "no water above the slab, no claim". The second time the water came up into the kitchen between the slab and the outer foundation wall. This time insurance company paid for damage to kitchen cabinets but that's all. Both times I had to eat the cost of re-routing the water lines around the leak. The first time the insurance agent came out and checked the carpet throughout the house, in the closets, everywhere looking for some water. If I had know ahead of time what he was going to be looking for, a bucket of water thrown in a closet would have saved me some money. The plumber was able to locate the leaks with the use of a very sensitive listening device. One word of caution....I had a 40 year history with my insurance company so there were no repercussions from filing a water damage claim but I've heard of some horror stories that have happened to people who have made claims. Even by asking their agent about water damage a red flag will be put in their file. This can stay with the house making later sale difficult as the house can become un insurable except through "high risk" insurance companies. Sorry for the long post, Tom G.
My 1970 slab ranch house started producing blue spots in the white kitchen linoleum. The cause was leakage from the radiant heating pipes in the concrete slab where the lime was attacking the copper producing pinhole leaks.
I installed baseboard (SlantFin) radiators around the perimeter of the house and abandoned the old radiant heating system. (GF unhappy because the floor is not warm during winter!) I also replaced the fresh water system because the hot water runs were destined to be attacked similarly.
I used a hammer drill to chisel a slot in the slab to get passed the doorways. Going up and over would produce a risk of freezing in the attic. It has worked well for several years, heating bills have decreased because were not warming the globe with heat below the slab anymore. In 1970 they didn't insulate below the slab because oil was cheap.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you to all who have posted helpful tips and advice and not just dire warnings. I now have a better understanding of the potential causes of this problem. I do not have the time, tools, or skills to begin cutting holes in my wall, removing baseboards, or pulling back carpet. I have a plummer coming tomorrow to assess the situation. Some of you may consider that unnecessary at this point, but there are certain things I will just leave to the pro's. At least now I will have some knowledge of this type of situation going into it, and will know the right questions to ask. Thanks again for the help. I will try to post back after I know more.
Stubby wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I do hope you follow up with the findings.
So many people post here asking for help and then just disappear and we never know the outcome. You good manners are welcomed.