My Wife.....

Page 1 of 4
painted walls a light blue. Now she's in MD and I'm selling the house. Realtor said paint them white.
Is there really a paint that will cover this stuff in one coat?
Please help....time is of the essence.
thanks.
I would ignore the real estate agent. Instead I would offer a $750 paint allowance to the buyer.

Ignore the realtor and the hell with the allowance. Let them buy the house as is.

Rich wrote:

I've taken that approach for 3 months. Nothing. Getting a little desperate. Maintaining two households for this period of time is straining the pocket book.
Military should take that into consideration when transferring people.
Is the house showing? If not, white paint won't help. If yes, then find out what people are rejecting it for. Lower the price or offer a selling agent incentive bonus if that is allowed in your state. But a bad paint job may turn off potential buyers. If there is furniture in the house and it is cruddy get it out.

Art wrote:

The house is showing. And the movers have already moved most to Maryland. I just kept enough for me to get by with.
Carpet, house, etc. is clean. Priced lower than those in neighborhood (a nice one BTW).
I'm beginning to think the property taxes may be the problem.
prop can be viewed at http://www.densarco.org/home
I'd appreciate any suggestions which could sell this place.
Thanks
~Zaitsev wrote:

That page says FSBO. Have you MLS listed it? Out here there are firms that will do that for a small fee. Are the schools good ones? Can you put in any info about them? (Out here the %ile on the state's standardized tests are in some fliers, as are the teacher to student ratio, if either of them is good.) I had a house that lingered and lingered, and suddenly the people who found it just perfect popped up. Does it smell nice? A musty smell, which you may be accustomed to, or you may have allergies, or smoke, will turn people off immediately. I'd get another set of nostrils in there to give an honest assessment. HTH blacksalt
kalanamak wrote:

It's an old website. I've listed it with Century 21.

It looks like a nice house and plenty of space for the money (at least compared to New England)
Could be taxes, could be houses are not selling well in military areas with a lot of the owners deployed. Considering the price of paint, I'd try the white. Or get another opinion. There is a show on HGTV about homes that don't move. I think it is called "priced to sell" or something like that. They show what is needed to move some houses and a $500 investment can bring a $5000 higher offer. Comes down to perception. Get someone to take a look and give an honest opinion.

I'm not sure if the web pages you have set up are much of a factor, but the pictures are not very flattering. The main outside shot was taken with the sun behind the house, leaving the sky and lawn nice and bright, but the house shadowy and gray looking.
The pictures of the individual rooms look dark and cramped. The darkness could be improved with a little bit of picture enhancing (add brightness AND contrast, at least) , but I think you should re-take the pictures entirely. Find a friend who's a photo buff that might have a pretty wide lens to use.
In all your photos we can only see part of the room. Try to get more of it in. Experiment with what angles make the best impression. Take the photos with a tripod (or some other support) so you don't need flash. Remove any interfering foreground objects first, like the table we see a corner of in the living room photo.
You should also remove as much bric-a-brac as possible, both for the pictures and the showing. Even people who may fill the house with their own photos and trophies don't want to see yours.
Good luck!
Greg Guarino
Greg G wrote:

Thanks, Greg. Moving the furniture will be easy. 90% of it has already been moved out to MD. :o)
Pack up everything but the bare essentials and put them in public storage. Your rooms have too much "stuff" in them. Even large rooms look cramped if there is too much furniture or bric-a-brac. Pack away as many clothes as possible so the closets look bigger. After all that, you can think about painting.
Be sure it is clean. This is very important. If it's not really spotless, people look at it and start to wonder what else was neglected they can't see.
Dorot29701 wrote:

Better than that. The movers have taken all but those bare essentials to Maryland.

job
is
Agreed. Given a choice between bad furniture or seeing an empty room, "empty" works better.
Doug Kanter wrote:

For the most part....it's empty. The movers have taken all our furniture to Maryland already.

You had no option for on-base housing?
Banty
Banty wrote:

No. It's impossible to get on-base housing in San Antonio. There is a 3 year waiting list here at Lackland. It's mainly for enlisted families, and rightly so, since basic allowances for housing diminishes with rank.
And on-base housing is impossible at Andrews AFB, Maryland where she was transferred in August.
A new rub is that I received a call from St Louis and may be called out of retirement for an 18 month assignment to Heidelberg.
I don't like the idea of just 'moving out' and leaving the house empty if I have to go back to active duty.
I thought things got simpler as you got older. Go figure. :o)

If you were in our around Rochester NY, I'd recommend the realtor I used. This guy rocked. Before him, I used two others who were no better than 7/11 clerks. I was buying, and the two lousy ones knew next to nothing about houses, their mechanical systems, the history of building in the area, the economy, and the psychology of sellers.
Did you sign a contract with this realtor? If so, read it carefully and see if you have the option to hire another at this point. If so, do this:
Walk into 3 offices of big-name agencies. See whose names are on the sales award plaques, if any. And/or ask to speak to the branch manager and explain the situation. Hire the best person they've got.
The paint excuse is a crock, by the way. I think you need a second (or third) opinion as to why the house is taking too long to sell, and you're not going to get that from a TYPICAL realtor. You need to hire a real producer.
Finally, not all realtors share listings with other agencies. I bought through a large, locally owned agency. But, their web site also showed listings from ReMax and 3 or 4 other agencies. Look for a similar arrangement if possible.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Realtors in Texas seem to be a different breed. This is my second. They take the listing and NEVER show the house themselves. They seem to just sit on their asses as wait for someone else to sell it, then collect the 3% they have coming. So much for 'representing the seller'. What you wind up with is realtors that show the house and represent the buyer.
~Zaitsev wrote:

In all honesty to the newest one, it seems to be showing quite a bit of late.