My well is over flowing!

Hi, To Chlorine shock the well as usuall, I removed the cap and water gushed out and is over flowing since. Is something wrong with the well? Do I leave the cap open like this until water level goes down I don't when? I don't have much experience with water wells. Any comment/suggestions appreciated. We don't drink this water. TIA, Tony

Did you turn off the pump?
One-eyed Pirate wrote:

Hi, Oops, No. I never did. Am I suppose to turn off the pump when removing the cap? Tony
Tony Hwang wrote:

If the cap you are talking about is the cap on top of the well then no, you don't need to turn off the pump.
Harry K
sounds like you have a leaking pipe, that would explain the overflow
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No it wouldn't. If the pipe in the well was leaking, it would just be recirculating the water.
Harry K