My Toilet Keeps Running?

OK, newbie question here, I know but I have never had this problem before and I think i know what the problem is but just want to check with you all and determine the best fix.
The float in the water tank when lifted to it's highest postion does not prevent water from pouring in. The "flapper" is fine and stops the water flow in to the toilet bowl and the float is fine, it rises as the water in the tank rises but the water never stops coming in. I take it this is a valve of some sort which is not closing when the float reaches it's highest position? If so what's the fix? Do I replace the entire assembly? if so are they fairly generic so I can purchase a new assembly without the original part?
Thanks!

The valve has failed.

Replace the entire assembly. They're so cheap it's not worth trying to repair. Best replacement IMO is a Fluidmaster: easy to adjust, and lasts for years.
This bad boy right here??
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0969160912.1070642921@@@@&BV_EngineIDefadckdjekkiicgelceffdfgidgjl.0&MID76
Fluidmaster Adjustable Anti-Siphon Repair Kit Model 090212
Thanks!
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 16:46:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

This link seems to be broken.

Description sounds about right, though.

When you say "when lifted to it's highest position" do you mean by the water or by hand? If it's by hand I would just go down to the store and purchase a whole new assembly, haven't done this in a while but a generic kit should work fine.
Replace the fill valve. Common one is *Fluidmaster* and it can be found in Home Depot or Lowes. While you're at it, replace the supply line to the steel braded type. MLD

Hi,
Better go catch it! Kidding. Just buy the top asembly for the valve and it will be fine. It comes with three screws, the rubber round piece with a button. Take the top of the old valve off to make sure you get the right one. It will save you about $20
candice
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:18:19 -0800, Ted Appleberry

If the 'float' is a ball on an arm, just try bending the arm down a little.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !