My Slow Cooker Takes Too Long

Page 2 of 3

Yup I have slow cookers to cook slow, and pressure cookers to cook fast. And a whole bunch of pots and pans to cook things in between..
On 4/21/2013 12:25 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:

I wish I had the counter top convection oven a friend gave me years ago. It was the size of a large microwave oven, had a standard 120v plug and didn't draw a lot of current for what it did. It had a simple mechanical timer, thermostat and pilot light to indicate it was on. It was an uncomplicated and very effective appliance. I could put a roast, a large dead chicken or any combination of dead animal parts and plants that had been ripped from their homes into a large pan then cover it with aluminum foil, set the timer, turn the oven on then go do a service call or some shopping. When I returned after a few hours, the lifeless animal and vegetable pieces were cooked and had time to cool down to a suitable temperature for me to tear into the dead animal parts and eat them. Of course I was making all the appropriate grunting and growling sounds as I ate. ^_^
TDD

I was recently eyeing up an old toastmaster, made in USA, table model with mechanical controls. I still would not leave the house if I had it on. I don't have an extra outlet or counter space. Sometimes I'm cooking with two microwaves and my little turbo, all at the same time. Plus regular stove/oven. Plus toaster ?
Greg
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I like using my slow cooker, but it takes way too long to cook stuff. Some foods take 6 - 8 hours. Can you imagine such a thing?
That is why it is called a SLOW COOKER> ww
I wonder if I should hook it up to a 240 circuit. That should cut the cooking time in half.
On 4/20/13 9:10 PM, WW wrote:

Yeahbut. There is rabbit slow and turtle slow.

It is intended to cook tough and cheaper cuts of meat, so pointless speeding it up.
On 4/20/2013 7:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Higher voltage is not going to increase the boiling point of water. Get yourself a pressure cooker - if they are still legal ;)
On 4/20/2013 7:36 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You need a Weber grill with liquid oxygen assist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjuXrxHcFfg

I understand they have self powered models now, but you have to be careful as they have a tendency to overpressurize.

Preheat liquid ingrediants to near boiling point in microwave before adding them to crockpot.. That will halve your cooking time..

And also add a folded towel on top of crockpot and two longest sides to prevent heat loss. Remove once contents start boiling..
te:
et> wrote:

ome

ing them to

revent heat loss.

No need. The post is from April. Even with the slowest, slow cooker, the meal was done a long time ago.

Preheat Crockpot with boiling water before adding ingredients

Seems like a better idea to just stick the crock it in a warm oven.
Fill huge pot with water, boil, pour into crock, empty water back into crock, let it cool, pour water in garden or wash with it, whatever.
Seems like a lot of work (and fuel) to cut a small amount out of the cook time.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...my original post was a joke.

# # Seems like a better idea to just stick the crock it in a warm oven. # # Fill huge pot with water, boil, pour into crock, empty water back into # crock, let it cool, pour water in garden or wash with it, whatever. # # Seems like a lot of work (and fuel) to cut a small amount out of the # cook time. # # Oh yeah, I almost forgot...my original post was a joke. #
And we're supposed to guess that it's a joke because.....

Because I said...
"Some foods take 6 - 8 hours."
Here's a couple of excerpts from typical slow cooker recipes...
"Brown ground beef and drain....Repeat tortillas and other layers two times. Cover and cook on low 6 - 8 hours"
"Pour the sauce over the meat. Cover and cook in the slow cooker on low heat for 6 - 8 hours or until the brisket falls apart."
Some readers got the joke, some, well, not so much.

So by making a statement that was true, we are supposed to interpret it as a joke ?
By your definition of a joke, if someone comes and states the sky is blue is supposed to be funny ???
Hello ? Anyone home ??
On 6/7/13 8:34 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:

Because Derby Dad's original post mentioned hooking the too slow cooker to 240 vac. Doing so would cut the cooking time in half he theorized.
On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 20:34:01 -0500, "Attila Iskander"

Bet you'd like Stephen Wright
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ErMolRE8M

I just finished watching Reservoir Dogs a few minutes ago.
Stephen Wright is the DJ for "K Billy's Super Sounds of the Seventies" show that is heard throughout the movie. Talk about a 'slow cooker'. ;-)