My second photo link via Picasa...

I often bond framing members together with structural epoxy, figuring if it can hold a 737 together its OK for an old house. This link is what happened after SWMBO said, "I really want an open plan in these rooms...I know you can do it". These are 2 x 8's bonded to a 2 x 12.
https://picasaweb.google.com/115498331124510478741/Framing02?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXY3Zvjku6L_QE#5626313193849584530
When I have time I'll try to get something going in tinyurl to ease the long link pain, provided it works with Macs.
Joe

Fine, so long as you can assume the untested and aged surfaces of the old materials will maintain the adhesive as well as elaborately tested stainless steel and ceramic composites do. One reason for using joist hangers was that you can see if they get twisted out of true.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

These were brand new #1 SYP from the lumber yard. Good structural stuff. BTW, I have a architect/structural engineer friend whose advice i take very seriously.
Joe
Joe
On 7/6/2011 5:18 PM, Joe wrote:

The strength of the bond does not matter. Any failure will be in the shear strength of the wood. Glue a lap joint on a couple of pieces of scrap and when cured, bend to failure, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also bet what you're doing is not approved by building code.

Good, put him on the line. I'd like to talk to him.
I'm curious why he's advising you to spend way more time, and probably more money, to cobble together a connection, and how he feels about creating a surface-bonded structural joint in a cross-grain situation with respect to wood movement due to temperature and humidity.
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:02:13 -0700, Joe wrote:

Timber-framed 737s? :-)

Wasn't that tried in the movie Chicken Run? It worked, as I recall.
--
Tegger

Jules Richardson wrote:

Even larger. Think Spruce Goose.
On 7/6/2011 3:02 PM, Joe wrote:

They build 737s from wood, who knew?

https://picasaweb.google.com/115498331124510478741/Framing02?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXY3Zvjku6L_QE#5626313193849584530

Saw horses? Or did you just hear about 'em? ;)
On 7/6/2011 2:02 PM, Joe wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115498331124510478741/Framing02?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXY3Zvjku6L_QE#5626313193849584530
Only problem I could imagine you'll ever have is a layer of wood detaching from the beam since the wood is made up of layers and the glue is stronger than the wood. Since I have no experience with gluing wood framing together, I would add screws or nails to the strong looking joint.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Agreed. With glue, you are bonding 0.001" of wood to another 0.001" of wood and depending on that one one-thousandth of an inch to remain attached to the next one one-thousandth of an inch.
A couple of bucks worth of lag bolts would ease my mind a bit.
On 7/7/2011 6:51 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Gosh, that glue joint is scary looking to me. I saw some framing done by an Amish carpenter utilizing notching, mortising and wood dowels the size of small tomato paste cans. No glue, nails or bolts were used by the fellow and the framing was incredibly strong. In fact the Amish family was helping a Texas contractor rebuilding homes on a beach front community after it was wiped out by a hurricane. The contractor believed the framing done by the Amish carpenters would resist the force of a hurricane better than any other construction. Found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
xEjO4YcLo
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Outstanding. Thanks for the link.

The Amish carpenters are quite inspirational in their timber framing, kind of makes you want to get out there with a mallet and slick. Although they do seem to be content using some twentieth century power tools. JoeG

Different sects allow different things. The Mennonites are the ones that are okay with electricity.
dont-email.me:

It's called a "hinge". They screw one leaf of the hinge to the base plate of the saw and the other to a homemade miter box.

I'm sure you can get it in either flavor, but the Amish one is assuredly a "hinge". Simple, effective and reasonably accurate if attention is paid to aligning the hinge.

There are many examples of, by definition, traditional timber-framed structures that have lasted for centuries. There are many examples that have lasted for centuries in tough climates and earthquake zones.
You paint with a broad brush and you're a lousy artist to boot. :)~
Joe wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115498331124510478741/Framing02?authkey=Gv1sRgCOXY3Zvjku6L_QE#5626313193849584530
With eight, you get egg roll.