My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

Page 1 of 2
In this State, you're not allowed to trap and transport racs. Anyway, one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got trapped. Another time, the rac was able to somehow escape! Two other times I was successful in trapping them and shot them with a .22, but it was a bitch removing the corpses from the traps.
So I marinated a 12 oz. can of cat food in a bowl of antifreeze. Set it out near where the rac has been doing his damage. Next morning, the ground at the site was wet with antifreeze, suggesting that he dumped it, and quite a bit of the cat food remained in the bowl which was tossed about 20 yds. away.
Do you know whether ACDelco Dex-Cool antifreeze contains denatonium which is an embittering agent? The ingredients list doesn't mention it though, so maybe this is simply a rac who doesn't have a sweet tooth for antifreeze. I can only hope that the meat portion that he did eat contained enough antifreeze to prevent his destructive return.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote in

Jack:
You're a Jack Ass. Problem is you're too f'n stupid to use conventional means and have resorted to inhumane means. Make yourself a sandwich and pour some on it. Then you'll know how it's working.

Hey Jack, here's a better idea. Why don't you eat the anti-freeze infested cat food, or better yet, just drink the rest of the gallon of anti-freeze. If you manage to survive the hospital run, shoot yourself in the head with the 22. The world will be a better place afterwards.
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 12:31:51 -0400, Still Just Me -

The above reply came directly from the mouth of a PETA member !!!
snipped-for-privacy@all.com wrote in

There are two "above reply"s. If you meant the first or both:
Afraid not. Too radical in some aspects.
Just believe unnecessary cruelty is wrong and head lice do not have rights. Somewhere in between is where I stand. Never defined where that is and don't need to. Yes I eat meat and way to go Obama on taking out the shitwalker right on the air.
replying to Still Just Me -, Gonebonkers wrote:

People who have not seen what misery Racoons can cause have not the faintest idea. These same people would send missiles to kill a terrorist 5000 miles away but kiss a terrorist racoons butt with love and tenederness.
Picture your $ 40,000 dollar boat stored on your property and all covered up for the winter. Spring time, you remove the layers and what you find? A completely destroyed interior...cushions, seats, wiring, cupboards...ripped apart like you have never seen... finished and not worth saving. I cannot think of a worse and more useless animal in existence than a bloody racoon.... destroying all traces of it would be of no objection to me at all. A whole family spending all winter in my boat with faeces all over...my God...you just have no idea what it feels like.
message

to the fat, ugly PIG, you cannot be with us ! Sorry.
On Thu, 28 May 2015 18:44:01 +0000, Gonebonkers

Due to our local TROLL who keeps reposting old messages from the past, using FlashNewsgroups.com, this 2009 post is not worth responding to. The raccoon is just a pile of bones by now.
Do not reply to any posts from caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_****@example.com (the "*" numbers change with every post)
FWD all posts to: snipped-for-privacy@flashnewsgroups.com
On 05/28/2015 12:44 PM, Gonebonkers wrote:

Obviously you've never spent quality time with porcupines.
replying to Red Green, Eric wrote:

Raccoon, you are charged with eating Erics cherrys. Raccoon, a witness testified you were sighted in Erics tree.
The sentence is death. To be carried out the very next night (tomorrow, Tuesday June 2nd, 2013) with anti-freeze. If you survive, the courts order a special mixture of fly bait & Coke (out of the bottle, your last should be an import)
You body will be disposed of in the city garbage collection can to be placed curb side Thursday June 4th, 2013.
replying to Red Green, Mari Carlo wrote:

The Jack Ass is the person posting that message; probably someone who lives in an apartment and doesn't have to deal with these monsters. Raccoons are huge rats and they should sell raccoon poison just like they sell mouse and rat poison. They do nothing beneficial and only make messes going through garbage cans and vegetable gardens.. I put a huge rock on my can this evening and the one who has been prowling around and eating anything it can still managed to turn the can over and pull all the garbage out. There was no food in the garbage but it still went through the bags and left a huge mess for me to clean. A few years ago a family managed to climb through the eaves into the attic and made it their home. It cost me $900 to have them removed and the area closed off. Since the City is doing nothing about culling these pests then we have to do it ourselves. Antifreeze works and have gotten rid of a few but still more still come around. I soak old bread with antifreeze in a plastic bag and then leave it out for them. There's also some poisonous plants such as rhubarb leaves which are suppose to work but never tried it. They use to make raccoon coats and hats; why don't they do that again and get them off our properties? If anyone can tell me what raccoons do which is positive and worthwhile, I would love to know!
On 09/29/2015 05:44 AM, Mari Carlo wrote:

Annoy the piss out of you?
Mari Carlo wrote:

bitter, not sweet any more. Any animals have a spot in eco-system. When eco-system is ultimately ruined, guess who is next and last? You and me. We live near wilderness park, often there comes all kinda animal in our yard. We have dog(s) always.
Way Back Jack wrote:

You're not allowed to do it here either but you can trap and kill. Drowning may be better than .22 and from what you say, you may need a bigger Hav-a-hart as I've seen it happen that trap would not completely close on raccoon and he could get out.
You're also taking risks with poison which is generally not allowed and you could kill an animal like someones pet. Ethylene glycol is really not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. A sip or two will not do it.
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:02:58 -0400, Frank

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/Cliented/antifreeze.aspx
Antifreeze Poisoning
(...)
Very small amounts of antifreeze can be fatal. If a cat walks through a puddle of antifreeze and then licks its paws, it can ingest enough antifreeze to cause death. About five tablespoons can kill a medium sized dog.
(...)
On Jul 6, 9:15am, snipped-for-privacy@here.org (Vladimir) wrote:

There is species variability in toxicity but ethylene glycol is not a strong toxin. It's sweetness makes it dangerous but as poisons go, 5 tablespoons is a lot of poison to kill a dog.
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:02:58 -0400, Frank

These traps were recommended for racs but these two creatures were exceptionally large.

Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away; not sure if they have pets. Poisoning is not something I relish but don't see any other option.
On Jul 6, 9:26am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

re: "Anyway, one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got trapped"
Is "the damn dumb cat" in danger of eating the poisoned food?
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 06:34:36 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Kept him inside last night.
On Jul 6, 9:26am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote:

Don't know about current Hav-a-harts but mine will take a groundhog but not a big raccoon for which they had a bigger trap. I watched the raccoon I was after enter the trap, trip it, and both doors closed but did not latch as he was too big. He must have tripped the trap a half dozen times before I gave up.
If you must poison, I would suggest rat poison mixed with peanut butter. You can't get in trouble trying to kill rats with poison.