My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze

In this State, you're not allowed to trap and transport racs. Anyway, one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got trapped. Another time, the rac was able to somehow escape! Two other times I was successful in trapping them and shot them with a

22, but it was a bitch removing the corpses from the traps.

So I marinated a 12 oz. can of cat food in a bowl of antifreeze. Set it out near where the rac has been doing his damage. Next morning, the ground at the site was wet with antifreeze, suggesting that he dumped it, and quite a bit of the cat food remained in the bowl which was tossed about 20 yds. away.

Do you know whether ACDelco Dex-Cool antifreeze contains denatonium which is an embittering agent? The ingredients list doesn't mention it though, so maybe this is simply a rac who doesn't have a sweet tooth for antifreeze. I can only hope that the meat portion that he did eat contained enough antifreeze to prevent his destructive return.

Reply to
Way Back Jack

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Way Back Jack) wrote in news:4a51f114.4446250 @free.teranews.com:

Jack:

You're a Jack Ass. Problem is you're too f'n stupid to use conventional means and have resorted to inhumane means. Make yourself a sandwich and pour some on it. Then you'll know how it's working.

Reply to
Red Green

You're not allowed to do it here either but you can trap and kill. Drowning may be better than .22 and from what you say, you may need a bigger Hav-a-hart as I've seen it happen that trap would not completely close on raccoon and he could get out.

You're also taking risks with poison which is generally not allowed and you could kill an animal like someones pet. Ethylene glycol is really not that toxic and it takes quite a bit to kill an animal. A sip or two will not do it.

Reply to
Frank

Antifreeze Poisoning

(...)

Very small amounts of antifreeze can be fatal. If a cat walks through a puddle of antifreeze and then licks its paws, it can ingest enough antifreeze to cause death. About five tablespoons can kill a medium sized dog.

(...)

Reply to
Vladimir

These traps were recommended for racs but these two creatures were exceptionally large.

Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away; not sure if they have pets. Poisoning is not something I relish but don't see any other option.

Reply to
Way Back Jack

quoted text -

re: "Anyway, one time in the past using a Haveaheart, the damn dumb cat got trapped"

Is "the damn dumb cat" in danger of eating the poisoned food?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Kept him inside last night.

Reply to
Way Back Jack

I really doubt Dexcool will do the job. It's a different chemical. Buy the cheap green stuff. You might have used too much, also. Just dampen the catfood with the green antifreeze.

D-Con, the mouse stuff, might also work. I've seen mouse poison, designed to look like wheat or grain.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There is species variability in toxicity but ethylene glycol is not a strong toxin. It's sweetness makes it dangerous but as poisons go, 5 tablespoons is a lot of poison to kill a dog.

Reply to
Frank

quoted text -

Don't know about current Hav-a-harts but mine will take a groundhog but not a big raccoon for which they had a bigger trap. I watched the raccoon I was after enter the trap, trip it, and both doors closed but did not latch as he was too big. He must have tripped the trap a half dozen times before I gave up.

If you must poison, I would suggest rat poison mixed with peanut butter. You can't get in trouble trying to kill rats with poison.

Reply to
Frank

.

Hey Jack, here's a better idea. Why don't you eat the anti-freeze infested cat food, or better yet, just drink the rest of the gallon of anti-freeze. If you manage to survive the hospital run, shoot yourself in the head with the 22. The world will be a better place afterwards.

Reply to
Still Just Me -

Better check about using antifreeze. Penalty could be much worse than trap and transport. A local got 60 days jail time for cruelty to animals, check your state laws.

Reply to
Phisherman

Well, maybe the stuff worked after all. No evidence of rac damage from last night.

Reply to
Way Back Jack

I get raccoon damage in my garden to, but it isn't anything I can't live with. Raccoons gotta live too.

Reply to
Billy

How about parking yourself outdoors in a nice chair at night with the .22 and capping the animal without trapping it first? Get yourself a Sure-Fire light, designed for making targets think "What the f&&k??" and stopping just long enough to get nailed.

They're ridiculously bright.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Taste it and see. Seriously, just touch a drop to your tongue and then spit it out, it won't hurt you in that quantity.

Mouse bait would be more effective and less likely to poison someone's pet, or use compound 1080 or 1081 and be careful.

Trapping and drowning would be more humane (and should be a dignified way to go for a raccoon since they know how to drown dogs), and a lot safer. HTH

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The above reply came directly from the mouth of a PETA member !!!

Reply to
none

snip

snip

So one time a dumb cat got caught in the trap but you would never expect the same cat to eat the poisoned food? How about the neighbors dog?

If it is legal to poison then it is legal to trap.

Reply to
tnom

snipped-for-privacy@all.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There are two "above reply"s. If you meant the first or both:

Afraid not. Too radical in some aspects.

Just believe unnecessary cruelty is wrong and head lice do not have rights. Somewhere in between is where I stand. Never defined where that is and don't need to. Yes I eat meat and way to go Obama on taking out the shitwalker right on the air.

Reply to
Red Green

Raccoon, you are charged with eating Erics cherrys. Raccoon, a witness testified you were sighted in Erics tree.

The sentence is death. To be carried out the very next night (tomorrow, Tuesday June 2nd, 2013) with anti-freeze. If you survive, the courts order a special mixture of fly bait & Coke (out of the bottle, your last should be an import)

You body will be disposed of in the city garbage collection can to be placed curb side Thursday June 4th, 2013.

Reply to
Eric